Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A "more-liquid" clear sealant (for countertop)?

I have a new Formica-type/laminate kitchen countertop. Rather than it being
a post-formed one piece construction, it is made where the backsplash is a
separate piece that is glued to the countertop. It was custom made and it
is made of all plywood, not particle board.

I used clear 100% silicone to seal around the top where the top of the
backsplash meets the wall. But, I also want to add some sealant where the
backsplash meets the countertop.

The problem I am having when I try using the clear 100% silicone is that the
space where the backsplash meets the countertop is really very thin and
virtually non-existent. So, the silicone doesn't actually go under the
backsplash and fill the space to seal it. The best I can do is get a tiny
bead into the 90-degree corner where the backsplash meets the countertop. A
large bead, similar to caulking around a bathtub would look bad.

It almost seems to me that something like Superglue would work there because
it would tend to be drawn in under the backsplash through capillary action
and may help seal that space. But, I'm not sure I want to do that, and I'm
not sure how much Superglue it would end up taking to do that.

My question is, does anyone know of any type of "thinner-than-silicone"
clear sealant that may work for sealing where the backsplash meets the
countertop?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 12:29*pm, "RogerT" wrote:

I have a new Formica-type/laminate kitchen countertop. *Rather than it being
a post-formed one piece construction, it is made where the backsplash is a
separate piece that is glued to the countertop. *It was custom made and it
is made of all plywood, not particle board.

I used clear 100% silicone to seal around the top where the top of the
backsplash meets the wall. *But, I also want to add some sealant where the
backsplash meets the countertop.

You should avoid having 100% silicone caulk where one of the surfaces
is painted. It makes subsequent painting more problematic. You don't
need silicone between a backsplash and a wall - paintable caulk is
superior in that application.

[...]

Generally the backsplash should be caulked when it is installed.
Simple enough to do if you're making the counter top yourself, and you
just have to ask the counter top shop to do it if you're having it
made.

Superglue is just about the worst thing you could possibly use - it
will ruin your mica counter top finish, and it won't seal things at
all.

Tape both sides of the joint with blue masking tape set about 1/8"
from the joint on either side, then run a bead of clear silicone,
strike it off and really push it in to the joint, smooth the bead with
a finger, then scrape off everything that's on the tape to clean it
off, pull the tape off at a sharp angle bending back on itself, spritz
a fine mist of water with a couple drops of soap in the water on the
joint, then with a finger dipped in the wet-soapy water press down the
edges of the caulking bead that was lifted up when the tape was
removed. The water keeps the caulk from sticking to whatever is wet.
When you're done there should be hardly any caulk visible at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Sep 4, 12:29 pm, "RogerT" wrote:

I have a new Formica-type/laminate kitchen countertop....
I used clear 100% silicone to seal around the top ...

You should avoid having 100% silicone caulk where one of the surfaces
is painted. It makes subsequent painting more problematic. You don't
need silicone between a backsplash and a wall - paintable caulk is
superior in that application.

+++++++++++

Thanks. I used clear on top because I thought that white would not
lookright even though the walls are white. I thought the white would show a
jagged edge. But, now that you mentioned tape below, I guess I could have
taped the top edge and then caulked with white -- and, as you suggested,
probably paintable caulk.

The problem I am having when I try using the clear 100% silicone is that
the
space where the backsplash meets the countertop is really very thin ....

Tape both sides of the joint with blue masking tape set about 1/8"
from the joint on either side, then run a bead of clear silicone,
strike it off and really push it in to the joint, smooth the bead with
a finger, then scrape off everything that's on the tape to clean it
off, pull the tape off at a sharp angle bending back on itself, spritz
a fine mist of water with a couple drops of soap in the water on the
joint, then with a finger dipped in the wet-soapy water press down the
edges of the caulking bead that was lifted up when the tape was
removed. The water keeps the caulk from sticking to whatever is wet.
When you're done there should be hardly any caulk visible at all.

+++++++++++++

Thanks again. I think I'll try that. I hadn't thought about using tape. I
think that may work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 4, 11:29*am, "RogerT" wrote:
[...]

Anything with silicone on it will never seal with anything else. Plan
your job accordingly.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"RogerT" wrote:

[...]

I use a tabletop pneumatic dispenser at work for a variety of production
jobs, and I've used it around the house and car when I need a neatly
applied thin bead. It uses syringes with luer-lock dispensing needles in
a variety of gauges. You can dispense an extremely clean, consistent,
and tiny bead of just about anything with it. I don't know whether
someone makes a homeowner version, but it's a damn handy tool at times.