Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A "more-liquid" clear sealant (for countertop)?

I have a new Formica-type/laminate kitchen countertop. Rather than it being
a post-formed one piece construction, it is made where the backsplash is a
separate piece that is glued to the countertop. It was custom made and it
is made of all plywood, not particle board.

I used clear 100% silicone to seal around the top where the top of the
backsplash meets the wall. But, I also want to add some sealant where the
backsplash meets the countertop.

The problem I am having when I try using the clear 100% silicone is that the
space where the backsplash meets the countertop is really very thin and
virtually non-existent. So, the silicone doesn't actually go under the
backsplash and fill the space to seal it. The best I can do is get a tiny
bead into the 90-degree corner where the backsplash meets the countertop. A
large bead, similar to caulking around a bathtub would look bad.

It almost seems to me that something like Superglue would work there because
it would tend to be drawn in under the backsplash through capillary action
and may help seal that space. But, I'm not sure I want to do that, and I'm
not sure how much Superglue it would end up taking to do that.

My question is, does anyone know of any type of "thinner-than-silicone"
clear sealant that may work for sealing where the backsplash meets the
countertop?

Thanks.