Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of freon 22

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Lot of factors go on, here. Of course, retail is higher than
wholesale. Now that R22 isn't made any more, it's going to go up in
price. Also, that markup helps pay taxes, wages, taxes, equipment
costs, taxes, advertising, taxes, and of course, taxes.

Sounds about right, to me.

Cut and pasted :

The Clean Air Act does not allow any refrigerant to be vented into the
atmosphere during installation, service, or retirement of equipment.
Therefore, R-22 must be recovered and recycled (for reuse in the same
system), reclaimed (reprocessed to the same purity standard as new R-22), or
destroyed. After 2020, the servicing of R-22-based systems will rely solely
on recycled or reclaimed refrigerants. It is expected that reclamation and
recycling will ensure that existing supplies of R-22 will last longer and be
available to service a greater number of systems. As noted above, chemical
manufacturers will no longer be able to produce, and companies will no
longer be able to import, R-22 for use in new A/C equipment after 2010, but
they can continue production and import of R-22 until 2020 for use in
servicing existing equipment. Given this schedule, which was established in
1993, the transition away from R-22 to the use of ozone-friendly
refrigerants should be smooth. For the next 10 years or more, R-22 should
continue to be available for all systems that require R-22 for servicing.

MY comments:

I think it was Jan 1 , 2010 that new systems could not be installed with the
r-22 in it. About 4 years ago the 20 some year old heat pump in my house
went out. I had a choice of the r-22 or another type. I went with the
r-22 as it operates at a lower pressure and less stress on the systems
should let it last longer. I knew all about the phase out as I had to get
licensed for the refrigerant where I work. I don't deal with the actual
refrigerant, but do have to install instrumentation on the systems.

If there was still much refrigerant in the system, he should have recycled
it. Could have saved it in a seperate tank and taken it somewhere to
reclaim it. If he just opened it to the air and let it all blead out, there
is a big fine for it. Something like $ 10 to $ 30 thousand.

Cost of freon 22 Ralph Mowery Home Repair 0 September 1st 10 04:05 AM
Cost of freon 22 ransley Home Repair 1 September 1st 10 02:47 AM
Cost of freon 22 LSMFT Home Repair 0 September 1st 10 02:41 AM
AC low freon? ransley Home Repair 36 August 1st 10 08:03 AM
Can I tell if there is freon in the AC? mm Home Repair 8 February 21st 08 08:57 PM