Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Proper height of Baseboard

"sid" wrote in message
Getting ready to have carpet installed and I want to know the proper
height to install the baseboard from the floor (Short shag or berber).
I have seen this question posted before, but I don't believe a
definitive answer was given.

The best advice the other articles gave was to ask the carpet
installer. We had the sales guy here the other day to measure up the
floor space, and I ask what height he would recommend. But he really
didn't have an answer. He pointed to the wallboard that I left up 1/2"
from the floor and stated that that would be plenty.

I thought that the industry would have a standard ?

Thanks\\

Typically, we would cut pieces of scrap baseboard and use them to hold the
actual baseboard off the floor when we'd nail it in place. That would place
it at 1/2" off the floor, typically and that's sufficient for about any
carpet. The pad is laid to about the tackless strip, so all that fits under
the baseboard is the edge of the carpet, and that can be compressed..

Micajah