Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Proper height of Baseboard

On Aug 29, 1:33*pm, dpb wrote:
sid wrote:
Getting ready to have carpet installed and I want to know the proper
height to install the baseboard from the floor (Short shag or berber).
I have seen this question posted before, but I don't believe a
definitive answer was given.

The best advice the other articles gave was to ask the carpet
installer. *We had the sales guy here the other day to measure up the
floor space, and I ask what height he would recommend. *But he really
didn't have an answer. He pointed to the wallboard that I left up 1/2"
from the floor and stated that that would be plenty.

I thought that the industry would have a standard ?

Absolutely no standard -- the width of the baseboard could be anywhere
from ~3" to 8" or even more in older, high-ceilinged rooms.

The question to ask is how thick is the carpet and the underpad and how
much do you want to show of whatever is your baseboard. *From that, pick
a height.

But, as a general rule, I always used 1/2" ply as a spacer block for
typical new construction, adjusting only for the unusual circumstance.

--

My plan is not do anything outside of the norm, just some short shag
or berber with typical pad used in a basement.

I assume the installer will use a nail gun to install the tack strips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 13:42:45 -0700 (PDT), sid wrote:

On Aug 29, 1:33*pm, dpb wrote:
sid wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't think so. The tacks (nails) are part of the strip. Some will do a
real number on baseboard with their kickers, too. Be prepared to touch them
up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I assume the installer will use a nail gun to install the tack strips.

I bet a nickel the installer uses a hammer for the tack strips.