Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'll Tell You A Little Secret About Belt-Stickem

Guys, you know the stuff. It comes in a tube or an aerosol can, and is
applied to the underside of fan belts to keep them from slipping. Real
sticky stuff, for sure. Well, I discovered two NEW uses for it that
worked great for me!
One day as I was entering my work-shop, I felt something bump me. I
knew right away it was the ‘owners’ of the small wasps nest that I had
let stay over the door. The bugsters would occasionally give me their
'warning' by bumping me. I kinda felt SPECIAL that they didn't
stinging me, what with them being as big as cockroaches and all. For a
second, I even thought they were my FRIENDS! So I felt sorry for the
little buggers and let them stay. Big mistake. As I exited that day,
one really got me good. Right on the inside of the elbow. End of
tolerance. End of wasp nest.
Three weeks later though, here they come again. Same spot. On the
wooden lintel right smack in the middle of the door. There was just
something about that place that they liked and I couldn't think of a
way to make them leave for good. I went for the poison but it was all
dried up. The only thing in reach was my can of Belt-StickemI grabbed
that and let them have it! It did the job on them alright. But
unknowingly, some ended up on the wood. And they never came back there
again! Didn't like the sticky stuff! And you know what...? It STAYS
sticky. For a friggin` year.

The other problem it solved was keeping the ants and other crawly
creatures out of my well-pump pressure switch! Anybody who has an
outdoor well with and outdoor pressure switch knows just how much of a
nuance they can become. You're in the middle of your shower, and
suddenly.... no more water! Kewl!!! Outside you storm, dripping wet
with your pants on backwards, just knowing what you're going to find
when you lift that cover! And sure as hell, that's just what you see!
A daisy-chain of electrocuted bull-ants, with a few sandwiched right
between your pressure points! Melted metal. Fried. Twenty three
dollars down the proverbial drain. But that's where the old miracle
cure comes in! You simply apply the Belt Stickem liberally to the
underside of the points platform (taking care not to allow any to
enter the electrical covering itself). And then a few times up and
down the spindle, and then a shot or two to the ‘in’ and ‘out’
exterior wire harnesses. I guarantee you that your ant problem will
disappear! They just DO NOT like the sticky stuff! Can't deal with it.
Never could, actually. You just didn’t know about it then. That’s all.

Aaron Lloyd
(Ehrin)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 11:54*pm, "Aaron Eel (Ehrin)"
wrote:
[...]

PS: It is best to apply the stickem to the underside of the switch
platform with the power OFF. Just in case. That should go without
saying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Finally, someone uses something "off-label" for pest control that I
can agree is a good idea.

Here's an idea I'm working on. The pet flea-killer "Advantage" contains 9%
of [magic chemical] and four 0.4ml treatments of Advantage costs about $45.

However, one can get a 2 oz bottle of 75% [magic chemical], used in termite
treatment, for the same $45. With proper dilution, the 2oz bottle should
yield over 2000 applications at 9%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Bob F wrote:

Finally, someone uses something "off-label" for pest control that I
can agree is a good idea.

Here's an idea I'm working on. The pet flea-killer "Advantage"
contains 9% of [magic chemical] and four 0.4ml treatments of
Advantage costs about $45.
However, one can get a 2 oz bottle of 75% [magic chemical], used in
termite treatment, for the same $45. With proper dilution, the 2oz
bottle should yield over 2000 applications at 9%.

Probably only cost you 3 or 4 dogs to get it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 27, 7:46 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bob F wrote:

Finally, someone uses something "off-label" for pest control that I
can agree is a good idea.

Here's an idea I'm working on. The pet flea-killer "Advantage"
contains 9% of [magic chemical] and four 0.4ml treatments of
Advantage costs about $45.

However, one can get a 2 oz bottle of 75% [magic chemical], used in
termite treatment, for the same $45. With proper dilution, the 2oz
bottle should yield over 2000 applications at 9%.

Is this still an idea or have you actually killed - errr I mean -
tried it on any pets yet?

What did/will you dilute it with?

I haven't gotten it yet. The trick is to discover in what it is miscible. In
order, I'll try:
* Distilled water
* Baby oil
* Shake well

The object is to get 0.4ml of the diluted [magic chemical] on the animal.

This site implies that you might not know what else is in the product
besides the [magic chemical] (read: imidacloprid) so what is your
recipe to make a home-made version of the product?

I need ~9% [magic chemical] from something that is 75% [magic chemical]. So
it seems an 8:1 dilution is appropriate.

1 ml [magic chemical] + 8 ml solvent yields 9 ml of properly diluted
material. At 0.4ml per dose, the 9ml yields about 20 doses. A 2oz bottle of
[75% magic chemical] would provide, then, 920 doses.

That much Advantage would cost over $8,000.00.

You raise a good point about 'what else' is in the product, and the question
is the same caution raised by the chemists at the company that sells the
termite stuff.

I wrote back and asked: "So, what's your definition of 'inert ingredients'?"

No response yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 3:18*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 27, 7:46 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bob F wrote:

[...]

No response yet.- Hide quoted text -

So why the use of the term "[magic chemical]" when we know its
imidacloprid?

"The object is to get 0.4ml of the diluted [magic chemical] on the
animal."

Based on the weight of the animal of course.

BTW K9 Advantage uses imidacloprid combined with permethrin so I
assume you're are dealing with an 10 pound cat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

So why the use of the term "[magic chemical]" when we know its
imidacloprid?

Because I don't know how to spell the real name of [magic chemical].

I used to refrain from writing about some of our political leaders, then I
learned how to spell "disembowel."

"The object is to get 0.4ml of the diluted [magic chemical] on the
animal."

Based on the weight of the animal of course.

BTW K9 Advantage uses imidacloprid combined with permethrin so I
assume you're are dealing with an 10 pound cat?

Right. I sure as hell don't keep an armadillo as a pet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

catguy wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Bob F wrote:

Finally, someone uses something "off-label" for pest control that I
can agree is a good idea.

Here's an idea I'm working on. The pet flea-killer "Advantage"
contains 9% of [magic chemical] and four 0.4ml treatments of
Advantage costs about $45. However, one can get a 2 oz bottle of 75%
[magic chemical], used in
termite treatment, for the same $45. With proper dilution, the 2oz
bottle should yield over 2000 applications at 9%.

How about 27.5oz of 21.4% solution for $46.50. It's called Dominion
2L from Pro Pest Products/Do It Yourself Pest Control, Inc. (
doyourownpestcontrol.com ).......Paul

Ooooh! Even better. When I exhaust the approximately 2,000 doses from the 2
oz bottle, I'll give it a look.

Thanks.