Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3/4" water main meter valves

On 8/25/2010 7:53 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Aug 25, 8:45 am, wrote:
On 8/25/2010 7:53 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

wrote:
-snip-

The meter guys is coming on a saturday, so, I don't know how "rush rush"
it could be.

My meter just got replaced a month ago. The old one was 45years old
according to the guy who changed it. The girl who made the
appointment said to allow 30 minutes- 15 without water. He laughed.

It was closer to 8 minutes in the basement- including
conversations--and we were without water for less than 5.

He didn't shut the water off at the street. When I told him the
valve needed packing the last 3 times I used it, he grimaced& said he
might get wet.

[turns out finally got the packing right and it was fine this time]

Our entire town just had the meters done by an out-of-town firm that
does nothing but change meters- YMMV- but my guy would not have taken
an extra 5 minutes.

Jim

Well clearly if the water doesn't get shut off at the street, I'm hosed.
Pun intended.

+++

But, the powers of persuasion can be powerful, and I'd betcha he comes
with that "key" to close the valve at the street.

Legally, this guy is setting foot inside my house. I think that provides
me just a tad more leverage than if the service were done outside or at
the street....- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunately sometimes you need a special long tool to turn valves
under street covers. I'd be out there to watch that so you see what
cover you are on and how far down the valve is. And you don't have
much leverage at all. You want water.

However of all you are doing is tightening the caps then it won't
matter. You could do that now. If you plan on replacing the packing
then all you need to do is the first valve. You can do the valve
downstream from the meter anytime. Have you got replacement packing
for that valve? They definitely are not going to wait for you to go
to the hardware store.

actually, if the valve is shut off, you can replace the packing on THAT
valve also.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

* *wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

Good point.