Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old power tools increase in value

I think old power tools will increase in value as time passes. It's
not the antique value, but rather the fact that they no longer make
affordable decent power tools. For example, have you tried to find a
power drill that stiill uses a key in the chuck lately? Good luck,
they almost all have those hand tightened chucks. Try to drill thru a
piece of heavy steel with one of those, and you'll soon find that you
can not do it. You'll wear the flesh off your hand trying to tighten
that damn chuck, and will finally be forced to borrow or rent an OLD
drill with a key, or take the job to a metal shop. Those hand
tightened chucks are a complete joke adn are useless. Personally, I
consider these so called "tools" are really nothing more than TOYS.

On the positive side, you can still buy keyed chuck drills, but be
prepared to spend a fortune. The top name brands such as "Milwaukee
Tools" still are made with keyed chucks, but they are pricey. For a
professional, they are worth the cost, but not for the average
homeowner doing a few repairs. This means that you must either find
an old drill at a garage sale, or just rent a drill from a local tool
rental place.

And these battery powered tools are even worse. In fact I refuse to
call these things "Tools". They are and always will be nothing more
than "TOYS". They work great for a 12 year old kid wanting to build a
birdhouse. Try to use these on a serious home repair project and you
will likely do what I did with mine, which is toss the goddamn thing
in the garbage. If there's anything more frustrating than trying to
finish a job and the damn tool runs out of battery power, please let
me know. Unless you have at least 3 batteries for each tool, and the
desire to keep running to a power source to recharge batteries, forget
them. They're worthless. You may as well just run a cord from the
power source and use a plug in tool to begin. I dont care if they are
a 6 volt or a 24 volt tool, they all lack power and all need constant
battery recharging. And prepare to go broke buying batteries. The
batteries normally cost nearly as much as the whole tool. Sure, they
are handy when you have to go across the road to attach your rural
mailbox to a post and it's too far to run an extension cord, but face
it, you're putting in four screws. Try to put in 400 screws and
you'll be running back to the house at least ten times to recharge
batteries. Worse yet, you will NOT find a battery drill with a keyed
chuck, period.

It seems that each and every day I am learning to appreciate the old
power tools from the 1960's thru 80's more and more. I do my best to
keep them in good condition, because in the future they will become
more and more valuable as the supply vanishes from garage sales and
auctions. When all the junk tools from the 1990's and 2000s are long
buried in garbage dumps, those of us with the older tools will be
lucky to still own them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I also hate cordless tool and keyless chucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ace Hardware and Amazon both sell replacement Jacob's Keyed Chucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:12:08 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I have a good assortment of "experienced" quality power tools I've
picked up cheap at garage sales with small problems and the
replacement parts required have all been available for peanuts.
Better than even the current "quality" tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

OMG, I guess I have to break out the old Thor D handle. I don't think so.
There is more to a drill than just being built like a tank. Pound for pound
I'll take a new commercial quality drill any day over those old anchors. As
far as cordless driver drills, they're the best thing since sliced bread,
and although I only get about two years out of one, they get used EVERY day
and have plenty of power. I just bought a new Makita lithium, really compact
driver drill. Can't wait to use it, but I still have some life left in my
current Dewalt, which I have to put out to pasture first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 11:08*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
Those hand
tightened chucks are a complete joke adn are useless.

Said it before, I'll say it again: Don't blame the concept, blame the
execution. Was in the tool and hardware store again today and noticed
that the keyless chucks for machine tools were in the $300-$400 range.
Those *******s will hold a drill tight enough to drill through anything
you can drill through, stainless, tool steel, titanium, whatever.
They're effortless to use. You won't find a keyed chuck in a machine
shop these days, except maybe on the ratty old drill press in the corner
behind the trash can. What a pain in the ass those damn keys are.

And when the key holder breaks and you loose the key, you then hate
keys. I have an old Rockwell circ saw, it took me 10 yrs to finally
find the special wrench needed to replace my 20 yr old blade, and I
have several drills I cant use because I lost those dam keys. My
ridgids have Jacobs keyless chucks, they do metal fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in :

wrote in message
[...]

why not just buy a replacement keyed chuck for your drill/driver?

I'd also have battery packs rebuilt with new cells if I really liked the
tool and it still worked well other than the battery packs.

a little survey on battery packs;
how are the NiMH packs doing?
Do they hold up well?
(fast-charged packs,1 hr charge time,not the cheapo slow charger setups)

any one replace their NiCD packs with NiMH packs,and if so,how did that
work out?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

And when the key holder breaks and you loose the key, you then hate
keys. I have an old Rockwell circ saw, it took me 10 yrs to finally
find the special wrench needed to replace my 20 yr old blade, and I
have several drills I cant use because I lost those dam keys. My
ridgids have Jacobs keyless chucks, they do metal fine.

Replacement keys are easy to find in the stores.
I have a vintage Rockwell table saw. When I needed to change the
blade, I used one of my bicycle wrenches and changing the blade was
actually pretty easy. Finding a replacement 8" blade was not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 8:16*pm, "RBM" wrote:

I just bought a new Makita lithium, really compact
driver drill. Can't wait to use it, but I still have some life left in my
current Dewalt, which I have to put out to pasture first.

It's better to put things out to pasture with some life left to them
so they can enjoy the pasture. Not after they're dead.

The little Makita lithiums are great. I don't think I'd have the
discipline to wait to put it into use.