Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] larry_w@none.com is offline

Default Old power tools increase in value

I think old power tools will increase in value as time passes. It's
not the antique value, but rather the fact that they no longer make
affordable decent power tools. For example, have you tried to find a
power drill that stiill uses a key in the chuck lately? Good luck,
they almost all have those hand tightened chucks. Try to drill thru a
piece of heavy steel with one of those, and you'll soon find that you
can not do it. You'll wear the flesh off your hand trying to tighten
that damn chuck, and will finally be forced to borrow or rent an OLD
drill with a key, or take the job to a metal shop. Those hand
tightened chucks are a complete joke adn are useless. Personally, I
consider these so called "tools" are really nothing more than TOYS.

On the positive side, you can still buy keyed chuck drills, but be
prepared to spend a fortune. The top name brands such as "Milwaukee
Tools" still are made with keyed chucks, but they are pricey. For a
professional, they are worth the cost, but not for the average
homeowner doing a few repairs. This means that you must either find
an old drill at a garage sale, or just rent a drill from a local tool
rental place.

And these battery powered tools are even worse. In fact I refuse to
call these things "Tools". They are and always will be nothing more
than "TOYS". They work great for a 12 year old kid wanting to build a
birdhouse. Try to use these on a serious home repair project and you
will likely do what I did with mine, which is toss the goddamn thing
in the garbage. If there's anything more frustrating than trying to
finish a job and the damn tool runs out of battery power, please let
me know. Unless you have at least 3 batteries for each tool, and the
desire to keep running to a power source to recharge batteries, forget
them. They're worthless. You may as well just run a cord from the
power source and use a plug in tool to begin. I dont care if they are
a 6 volt or a 24 volt tool, they all lack power and all need constant
battery recharging. And prepare to go broke buying batteries. The
batteries normally cost nearly as much as the whole tool. Sure, they
are handy when you have to go across the road to attach your rural
mailbox to a post and it's too far to run an extension cord, but face
it, you're putting in four screws. Try to put in 400 screws and
you'll be running back to the house at least ten times to recharge
batteries. Worse yet, you will NOT find a battery drill with a keyed
chuck, period.

It seems that each and every day I am learning to appreciate the old
power tools from the 1960's thru 80's more and more. I do my best to
keep them in good condition, because in the future they will become
more and more valuable as the supply vanishes from garage sales and
auctions. When all the junk tools from the 1990's and 2000s are long
buried in garbage dumps, those of us with the older tools will be
lucky to still own them.