Posted to alt.home.repair

Default French Drain: Holes Up For Gutter Sludge?

Holes down - always!!!!!! You are maintaining a hole through the
dirt, you want the water to enter the hole as soon as possible.
You do NOT want to have a pipe full of water. The idea is to move
the water to somewhere else, not to let it into the soil/gravel.
The sock and/or gravel is to try to keep dirt from choking the
holes. Ground cloth on top of the gravel is to try to keep the
gravel from getting choked.

Most of the crinkle wall (my term) black plastic product is done
with slots all around the pipe.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
n...
I'm installing a French drain that will also be accepting water
from
several of my gutters. I have installed gutter gaurds on all of
the
gutters, so that should eliminate large debris from clogging up
the
drain, but a certain amount of gutter sludge is bound to make
its way
into the drain over time.

So, I'm thinking that installing the drain with holes-down will
just
dump that sludge into the gravel below the pipe (or into the
pipe sock),
where it will build up, whereas a holes-up situation would allow
the sludge to remain in the pipe until it's eventually flushed
out.

Does that sound logical?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote:
I'm installing a French drain that will also be accepting water from
several of my gutters. I have installed gutter gaurds on all of the
gutters, so that should eliminate large debris from clogging up the
drain, but a certain amount of gutter sludge is bound to make its way
into the drain over time.

So, I'm thinking that installing the drain with holes-down will just
dump that sludge into the gravel below the pipe (or into the pipe sock),
where it will build up, whereas a holes-up situation would allow
the sludge to remain in the pipe until it's eventually flushed out.

Does that sound logical?

If "sludge" washes down from the gutters, then you want it to keep on
going....just my instinct, not expertise. Holes down to allow better
emptying of the drains into the gravel would seem to be the better
choice, as it would take fine sludge with it into the gravel. With
holes up, it would seem like the drains would fill with water and allow
silt to settle inside the drain pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 10:53*am, ShadowTek wrote:
I'm installing a French drain that will also be accepting water from
several of my gutters. I have installed gutter gaurds on all of the
gutters, so that should eliminate large debris from clogging up the
drain, but a certain amount of gutter sludge is bound to make its way
into the drain over time.

So, I'm thinking that installing the drain with holes-down will just
dump that sludge into the gravel below the pipe (or into the pipe sock),
where it will build up, whereas a holes-up situation would allow
the sludge to remain in the pipe until it's eventually flushed out.

Does that sound logical?

I would do research on this, my french drain is about 90 yrs old and
still flowing fast but ive heard of instalations clogging in 10 years
that were not done as best as can be done. Gravel surrounding the pipe
is a must and hole down is how I did my last tile system, the sock
will probably fail with holes up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-19, ShadowTek wrote:

I'm installing a French drain that will also be accepting water from
several of my gutters.

My understanding is that gutter drains should be solid and kept
separate from perforated French drains. If the two are combined, then
if the drain plugs up from gutter debris, the gutter water gets dumped
into precisely the ground area you are trying to drain.

So, I'm thinking that installing the drain with holes-down will just
dump that sludge into the gravel below the pipe (or into the pipe
sock), where it will build up, whereas a holes-up situation would
allow the sludge to remain in the pipe until it's eventually flushed
out.

If you are trying to collect surface water that percolates downward,
you put the holes up. If you are trying to collect ground water
rising upward (i.e. a foundation drain), then you put the holes down.

Cheers,
Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 8:53*am, ShadowTek wrote:
I'm installing a French drain that will also be accepting water from
several of my gutters. I have installed gutter gaurds on all of the
gutters, so that should eliminate large debris from clogging up the
drain, but a certain amount of gutter sludge is bound to make its way
into the drain over time.

So, I'm thinking that installing the drain with holes-down will just
dump that sludge into the gravel below the pipe (or into the pipe sock),
where it will build up, whereas a holes-up situation would allow
the sludge to remain in the pipe until it's eventually flushed out.

Does that sound logical?

1. Do not connect your gutters to your french drain system.

2. French drain systems always have the pipe holes on the bottom to
start accepting water at even the lowest levels in the trench.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-19, Wayne Whitney wrote:

My understanding is that gutter drains should be solid and kept
separate from perforated French drains. If the two are combined, then
if the drain plugs up from gutter debris, the gutter water gets dumped
into precisely the ground area you are trying to drain.

These gutter guards work very well at keeping debris out of the gutters,
they just have to be swept off from above every once and a while, or the
water will run right over them. I know
that blackish sludge and shingle grit will eventually make its way down
the spout, so that's all I'm concerned about.

The intersections along the drain are only about 40 feet apart at most, with each
gutter connected to the main drain by a Y fitting, so a snake would be
guided downhill at each connection, which should make snaking each section
easy, if were ever needed.

If you are trying to collect surface water that percolates downward,
you put the holes up. If you are trying to collect ground water
rising upward (i.e. a foundation drain), then you put the holes down.

Surface water is my only real concern, as the land was poorly graded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-19, Wayne Whitney wrote:

[...]

PVC pipe is dirt cheap run seperate lines, ideally the lines should
drain well away from home to daylight.

If your installing exterior french drains it should be below footer
level......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ShadowTek" wrote in message

n...

I'm installing a French drain that will also be accepting water
from
several of my gutters. I have installed gutter gaurds on all of
the
gutters, so that should eliminate large debris from clogging up
the
drain, but a certain amount of gutter sludge is bound to make
its way
into the drain over time.

So, I'm thinking that installing the drain with holes-down will
just
dump that sludge into the gravel below the pipe (or into the
pipe sock),
where it will build up, whereas a holes-up situation would allow
the sludge to remain in the pipe until it's eventually flushed
out.

Does that sound logical?- Hide quoted text -

Thats what I did and what is recommended if I remember right, but I
dont really remember right.

Suggestions for Connecting Filter Backwash Drain to French Drain? Scott Townsend Home Repair 0 July 22nd 07 10:02 PM
French drain help..... chrisexv6 Home Repair 22 April 19th 07 04:32 PM
French Drain Burhans Home Repair 4 May 28th 05 12:36 AM
Central heating system de-sludge or just heat-exchanger de-sludge? Don Rojo UK diy 6 October 15th 04 07:13 AM
any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain? PH Home Repair 3 July 7th 04 12:30 PM