Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default French Drain: Holes Up For Gutter Sludge?

On Aug 19, 6:29*am, "DanG" wrote:
Holes down - always!!!!!! *You are maintaining a hole through the
dirt, you want the water to enter the hole as soon as possible.
You do NOT want to have a pipe full of water. *The idea is to move
the water to somewhere else, not to let it into the soil/gravel.
The sock and/or gravel is to try to keep dirt from choking the
holes. *Ground cloth on top of the gravel is to try to keep the
gravel from getting choked.

Most of the crinkle wall (my term) black plastic product is done
with slots all around the pipe.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"ShadowTek" wrote in message

n...

I'm installing a French drain that will also be accepting water
from
several of my gutters. I have installed gutter gaurds on all of
the
gutters, so that should eliminate large debris from clogging up
the
drain, but a certain amount of gutter sludge is bound to make
its way
into the drain over time.

So, I'm thinking that installing the drain with holes-down will
just
dump that sludge into the gravel below the pipe (or into the
pipe sock),
where it will build up, whereas a holes-up situation would allow
the sludge to remain in the pipe until it's eventually flushed
out.

Does that sound logical?- Hide quoted text -

Thats what I did and what is recommended if I remember right, but I
dont really remember right.