Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

Default Back Door Problem

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:47:22 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my back door to close.

The lower part of the door all of a sudden, after a rain, is sticking
out and raking the bottom of the seal.

Any fix?

--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 7:12*pm, Welsh Dog wrote:
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:47:22 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my back door to close.

The lower part of the door all of a sudden, after a rain, is sticking
out and raking the bottom of the seal.

Any fix?

Stop letting people **** you in the ass?
Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:01:12 -0700 (PDT), tmclone wrote:

On Aug 18, 7:12*pm, Welsh Dog wrote:
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:47:22 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my back door to close.

The lower part of the door all of a sudden, after a rain, is sticking
out and raking the bottom of the seal.

Any fix?

Stop letting people **** you in the ass?

Thanks,

*IDIOT TROLL ALERT*

Welshdog
--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

"Welsh Dog" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:47:22 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my back door to close.

The lower part of the door all of a sudden, after a rain, is sticking
out and raking the bottom of the seal.

Any fix?

--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au

Least you think we are all idiots and TROLLS, what is sticking out and which
seal is raking?

The fix is usually the same; plane or sand the offending part.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:59:14 -0400, Colbyt wrote:

"Welsh Dog" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:47:22 -0400, Welsh Dog wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my back door to close.

The lower part of the door all of a sudden, after a rain, is sticking
out and raking the bottom of the seal.

Any fix?

--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au

Least you think we are all idiots and TROLLS, what is sticking out and which
seal is raking?

The bottom of the door has expanded and is raking against the wind
seal.

The fix is usually the same; plane or sand the offending part.

I don't think I can plane it. It's wet to the touch.
--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au

Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:09:34 +0000, bobarchitect39 wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...em-460077-.htm
bobarchitect39 wrote:
Sounds like your door is either old and needs to be replaced, or there is
some problem with your door frame letting in water.

Hmmm, the rain falls on it all the time. But why would it grow bigger?
--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

bobarchitect39 wrote:
Sounds like your door is either old and needs to be replaced, or there is
some problem with your door frame letting in water.

Hmmm, the rain falls on it all the time. But why would it grow bigger?

Wood gets bigger when it gets wet. Paint gets porous when it gets old.
Add the two together, and you get a wooden door with old paint that gets
bigger when it rains. It's probably also going rotten at the bottom
and/ or the rainstrip's fallen off. If the frame's going rotten too,
then the top hinge pulls out of the frame slightly, which lets to door
drop and foul the sill.

For a temporary cure, take the door down, plane or sand a bit off the
bottom, and rehang it. If you can't get the screws to bite, then you
need a new frame and door.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

bobarchitect39 wrote:
Sounds like your door is either old and needs to be replaced, or there is
some problem with your door frame letting in water.

Hmmm, the rain falls on it all the time. But why would it grow bigger?

Wood gets bigger when it gets wet. Paint gets porous when it gets old.
Add the two together, and you get a wooden door with old paint that gets
bigger when it rains. It's probably also going rotten at the bottom
and/ or the rainstrip's fallen off. If the frame's going rotten too,
then the top hinge pulls out of the frame slightly, which lets to door
drop and foul the sill.

For a temporary cure, take the door down, plane or sand a bit off the
bottom, and rehang it. If you can't get the screws to bite, then you
need a new frame and door.

sigh

Looks like a new door for me. I don't own a plane.
--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:44:15 -0400, Welsh Dog
wrote:

For a temporary cure, take the door down, plane or sand a bit off the
bottom, and rehang it. If you can't get the screws to bite, then you
need a new frame and door.

sigh

Looks like a new door for me. I don't own a plane.

Wood planes are expendable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For a temporary cure, take the door down, plane or sand a bit off the
bottom, and rehang it. If you can't get the screws to bite, then you
need a new frame and door.

sigh

Looks like a new door for me. I don't own a plane.

Wood planes are expendable.

Not mine. I have a large collection of antique planes. I use some in
my daily work. They love me and I love them. We're happy together.

To the OP: investigate, then make plans. Take the door off by
removing the hinge pins, visually check the bottom of the door for
rot, stick an awl into the wood at several spots to see if it's sound,
sight along the door to see if it's warped, check the threshold to see
if it moves when you step on it, etc. If the door is shot, and
depending on the door, it might be easier to replace the whole door
and frame. It probably wouldn't cost you much more money nor take
more time.

Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

bobarchitect39 wrote:
Sounds like your door is either old and needs to be replaced, or there is
some *problem with your door frame letting in water.

Hmmm, the rain falls on it all the time. But why would it grow bigger?

Wood gets bigger when it gets wet. Paint gets porous when it gets old.
Add the two together, and you get a wooden door with old paint that gets
* bigger when it rains. It's probably also going rotten at the bottom
and/ or the rainstrip's fallen off. If the frame's going rotten too,
then the top hinge pulls out of the frame slightly, which lets to door
drop and foul the sill.

For a temporary cure, take the door down, plane or sand a bit off the
bottom, and rehang it. If you can't get the screws to bite, then you
need a new frame and door.

sigh

Looks like a new door for me. I don't own a plane.

Possibly it would be cheaper to buy a plane than to buy a door.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

bobarchitect39 wrote:
[...]

If I buy a plane, I would at least get one door.

I Kid.
--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

"Welsh Dog" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:36:33 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Looks like a new door for me. I don't own a plane.
--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au

I agree with Cindy. I bet a plane or belt sander is far cheaper than a new
door. And, if, you don't own either of those do you own all the tools to
install a new door? Or a door and frame?

This meant to be a lesson for all.

I wasn't born with tools and nobody gave me many. Everytime the cost of a
tool was less than the cost of the labor hired, I bought the tool to do the
job. Over the years with reasonable care they pay many large dividends.
Far better than the stock market or much, much better than the bank

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.fan.harry-potter,alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 3:46*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Welsh Dog" wrote in message

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:36:33 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Looks like a new door for me. I don't own a plane.
--
Don't just whinge - make your opinion count!
Australian Opinion
http://australianopinion.com.au

I agree with Cindy. I bet a plane or belt sander is far cheaper than a new
door. *And, if, you don't own either of those do you own all the tools to
install a new door? Or a door and frame?

I now believe Welsh Dog was making a play on words, meaning
"airplane" when the rest of us were talking woodworking. His
humor is too subtle for me. Anything more sophisticated than
a fart joke passes right over my head.

Cindy

Double Glazed Back Door Locking Problem RedOnRed UK diy 2 November 19th 09 01:52 PM
Fixing door handles back to back? [email protected] Home Repair 4 April 10th 07 11:52 PM
Back Door Size OG UK diy 3 July 2nd 06 01:29 PM
Back door dropping [email protected] UK diy 16 September 26th 05 09:50 PM