Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Vizio's any good ?

"JimT" wrote

I'm really glad to hear someone say that. LCD/LED TVs still cost more on
average though.

Jim

Prices can vary quite a bit. Looking at 42" here, a popular size. a plasma
lists for $650, but an LED lists for $1800.
http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...sing/index.jsp

A 47" can vary from $999 to $2900. Toss in a 3D and you can be over $4300.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"keith" wrote
Also, a "better" picture is debatable. I prefer the "warmth" of a
Plasma's picture.

Contrast, brightness,...

LCD is brighter, but Plasma's are getter brighter, and LCD's are
catching up in contrast.

Brightness without contrast is useless.

All true, all false. So many brands and models, you can find exceptions to
each of the statements. Add in personal preference too. The technology is
improving and the quality of picture is much better than a few years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 19, 6:05*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Ron" wrote

All flat panels have ****ty speakers/sound......IMO

Supposedly LG has the "best" speakers. Kinda hard to get quality sound
in the limited space.

That is why I use a separate receiver and surround sound system.
Especially nice for movies with special effects.

I have thousands invested my stereo eqt, but that is beside the point.
It would be nice if these manufacturers would put just a little effort
into the sound/speakers on these flat panels so it doesn't sound like
the audio is coming from 2 tin cans and a string.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Aug 18, 11:55 pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:29:55 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

Would you buy a Vizio LCD TV ?

I like my 46" Vizio as much, maybe more than my 46" high end sony
bravia (not the mid-line bravia). It certainly has more features,
some of which I actually use. :-) Picture quality after tweaking is
right up there with the Bravia to my eyes. Of course, the bravia is a
couple of years older. As others have stated, the visios are weak in
the sound section, but no issue if you're using external audio gear,
or like me, using it in exercise room, not as part of home theatre.

All flat panels have ****ty speakers/sound......IMO

snip

I don't think the sound quality is bad in my Panasonic Viera but I do have
trouble with the treble. I can't hear high voices very well and I have the
treble maxed. For eveything else it's fine. I gave up on surround sound. Too
many wires.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote
That is why I use a separate receiver and surround sound system.
Especially nice for movies with special effects.

I have thousands invested my stereo eqt, but that is beside the point.
It would be nice if these manufacturers would put just a little effort
into the sound/speakers on these flat panels so it doesn't sound like
the audio is coming from 2 tin cans and a string.

I have mixed feelings. No one wants crappy sound and smaller (say, 32" or
less) models for bedrooms and the like, sound should be decent. When you get
to the really big screens, many are using surround sound systems and home
theater setups so I don't care if they even have a speaker in the TV. I'd
rather the money be spent elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would you buy a Vizio LCD TV ?

Saw this today
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...tvs-under-1000

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2010 4:55 PM, JimT wrote:
All flat panels have ****ty speakers/sound......IMO

snip

I don't think the sound quality is bad in my Panasonic Viera but I do have
trouble with the treble. I can't hear high voices very well and I have the
treble maxed. For eveything else it's fine. I gave up on surround sound. Too
many wires.

Have you considered a compromise? Just because your AV receiver is a
6.1 or a 7.1 doesn't mean you have to hook up the rear speakers for
decent sound. A good center channel speaker, a subwoofer and a pair of
crappy speakers for the right and the left front will give you plenty of
volume, good stereo imaging, and bass you can feel for those thunderous
moments in a movie.

I had complete surround in my last place but I did what I suggested
above when I moved to where I am now. I'm more than satisfied with the
results, which is more than I could say when I was listening through the
TV's built-ins.

Jay
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 21, 9:16*am, Jay Hanig wrote:
On 8/20/2010 4:55 PM, JimT wrote:

[...]

You mean 5:1? Anyway, for someone that doesn't want to deal with
wires one of these can make a huge difference........

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-High...d-Bar/11046520
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

[...]

I also have a Viera. I think you said you've had it for 3 yrs? If you
haven't done it already, under audioadvanced audio, set the volume
leveler to +7 or its highest position on your TV. Makes a big
difference. I have my bass and treble set to +2.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 20, 11:04*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Ron" wrote

That is why I use a separate receiver and surround sound system.
Especially nice for movies with special effects.

I have thousands invested my stereo eqt, but that is beside the point.
It would be nice if these manufacturers would put just a little effort
into the sound/speakers on these flat panels so it doesn't sound like
the audio is coming from 2 tin cans and a string.

I have mixed feelings. *No one wants crappy sound and smaller (say, 32" or
less) models for bedrooms and the like, sound should be decent. When you get
to the really big screens, many are using surround sound systems and home
theater setups so I don't care if they even have a speaker in the TV. *I'd
rather the money be spent elsewhere.

Yeah, but those "speakers" only cost them about 50 cents each. The
speakers in my TV look to be about 5"x2". El cheapo.

At least my 45" MItsubishi RPTV had some pretty good 5 1/4" speakers
that sounded pretty damn good, especially since they were in
enclosures.

The 40" Mitsubishi that I owned before that had 2 6x9s! Best audio
I've ever heard from a TV.

A friend of mine just bought a 50" LG Plasma yesterday. I'm gonna head
over to his house today and see what his audio sounds like since LG's
are supposed to have the best audio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

===

I'll check. I like easy fixes. Mines a monitor and I'm not sure if there
is a advanced audio but there maybe something in the satellite box.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 1:58*pm, Ron wrote:
On Aug 19, 10:04*am, ransley wrote:

On Aug 19, 7:46*am, Ken wrote:

JimT wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message

Would you buy a Vizio LCD TV ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

You should do a consumer reports check on LED/LCD TVs

For some reason their ratings also include the size. On 52-55 inch they
rated Vizio VF550M a CR best buy (but not that high: #10 overall) (Mar
2010). After that Vizio falls off the charts. The model numbers change
on those sets so often it's hard to keep up with. You might try
subscribing to CR online. They may have more current information.

My answer is, maybe. Panasonic and Samsung are rated higher over all,
but they may have more models out too. We bought a Panasonic Viera
Plasma 6 years ago on CR recommendation and it still works like new.. I'm
looking forward to replacing it someday with a LCD.

Jim

* * * * You would replace your Plasma with a LCD? *Is there a reason for doing
so? *I do not own either right now, but I would be interested in the
views of those who do.- Hide quoted text -

Lcds are not equal, a 55" Plasma might consume for example 600 watts,
the regular tube Lcd 350 watts. A LED Lcd might only consume 200
watts. Sharp has a new line comming out soon the 55 might only consume
160 watts Leds will cost less to operate, last longer and are said to
give a better picture, but the current regular Lcds are very good.

More like 300 watts for a plasma and 100 watts for a LCD/
LED....probably a non-factor for most people. .

Last longer? You better do some research on the life span of a plasma
TV. You will probably die before a Plasma or LCD/LED will.

Also, a "better" picture is debatable. I prefer the "warmth" of a
Plasma's picture.- Hide quoted text -

I was at best buy and used a Kill a Watt meter on a 55" plasma, Lcd
and Led tvs, about 1 yr ago and thats what I saw in usage. No 55" uses
only 100 watts yet that I know of
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 9:35*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"keith" wrote

The only advantage of an LCD is power consumption (and the associated
heating). *The picture of the plasma is worth it, IMO.

Not always true. *Plasma has the best picture in most cases, but it also has
the possibility of getting the most glare from outside lighting sources.
The glossy glass can be tough to see with reflections.

If you watch TV during the day in a room with windows, or in a place where
you cannot control the lights. LED or LCD can be a better choice.

To help find the right size and type, take a look athttp://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/index.jsp

What ive seen Plasma use near 2.5-3 times the power of the new Led Lcd
tvs, maybe they are better now as I tested them over 1 yr ago
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 21, 7:29*pm, ransley wrote:
On Aug 19, 1:58*pm, Ron wrote: -

Lcds are not equal, a 55" Plasma might consume for example 600 watts,
the regular tube Lcd 350 watts. A LED Lcd might only consume 200
watts. Sharp has a new line comming out soon the 55 might only consume
160 watts Leds will cost less to operate, last longer and are said to
give a better picture, but the current regular Lcds are very good.

More like 300 watts for a plasma and 100 watts for a LCD/
LED....probably a non-factor for most people. .

I was at best buy and used a Kill a Watt meter on a 55" plasma, Lcd
and Led tvs, about 1 yr ago and thats what I saw in usage. No 55" uses
only 100 watts yet that I know of

For what's worth.

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency/

Also see "Next: The chart: HDTV power consumption compared" at the
bottom of the article.