Posted to alt.home.repair
RES RES is offline

Default hardwood floor finish not applied under DW or fridge

"BobC" wrote in message
We just had our hardwood floors finished and while inspecting the work I
noticed:
a)that the polyurethane stopped just in front of the dishwasher and the
refrigerator. In other words, the two appliances are sitting over
unsanded,
bare wood (this is a new oak floor that replaces many layers of old
vinyl).
b) two wood thresholds, bridging bathroom tile floors and hardwood
hallways, have uncoated areas on the bathroom side, where they meet the
flor.
Q: These are places likely to get pretty wet, and I think they should be
fully coated, or am I being finicky?
c)unlike the floors, which have a smooth finish, the staircase threads are
quite rough and appear to have received fewer finish coats.
Q: would this be on purpose, to make them less slippery?
Many thanks.

Why were appliances returned to the kitchen before the flooring was
finished. They obviously had to be removed for the flooring to be
installed. My guess is that the finisher had not planned on removing them
prior to finishing the floor.

The "holidays" on the thresholds are inexcusable and need a return visit by
the finisher.

The stair treads need to be smooth. If they're not satisfactory, the a
return visit by the finisher is needed. They are not left rough for any
reason I know of.

Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobC wrote:

"BobC" wrote in message
[...]

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my posting. This
forum is a great resource, especially for a (slightly wiser now) first-time
renovator. Your input is very valuable in helping me decide how to
proceed--- and I hope to post a positive follow-up sometime soon.

I'll throw in on the stair treads- you don't want them glossy-smooth
like a piano top. More of a satin finish is what to shoot for.
Otherwise, anybody on those stair just wearing socks on their feet is at
risk of falling on their ass. Kids and older folks especially. BTDT, etc.

--
aem sends...