Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Would someone please decipher these phone cables?

Would someone please decipher these phone cables?

There are four cables going into the phone box. One of the cables'
blue/dot blue conductors is terminated with a plug and plugged
into a jack. This cable's orange/dot orange conductors is spliced
with the blue/dot blue conductors of the other three cables. There
are more than 9 jacks in the house and all jacks work.

I opened two wall plates and found only one cable in the box.
Thus, these two are not daisy-chained. I assume there is one more
such box somewhere.

What's going on here? Why is orange/dot orange spliced with
blue/dot blue? And how come those three cables still work (can
dial in and out) when they seem not plugged into the phone box?
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 8/14/2010 10:31 AM, John Smith wrote:
Would someone please decipher these phone cables?

There are four cables going into the phone box. One of the cables'
blue/dot blue conductors is terminated with a plug and plugged into a
jack. This cable's orange/dot orange conductors is spliced with the
blue/dot blue conductors of the other three cables. There are more than
9 jacks in the house and all jacks work.

I opened two wall plates and found only one cable in the box. Thus,
these two are not daisy-chained. I assume there is one more such box
somewhere.

What's going on here? Why is orange/dot orange spliced with blue/dot
blue? And how come those three cables still work (can dial in and out)
when they seem not plugged into the phone box? Thanks.

Typically the first line in a house (line 1) is on the White/Blue
pair. A second line (line 2) on the White/Orange pair. Could there
have been two lines in the house at one time? The second line was
removed and the jacks wired on line 2, the orange pair were connected
to line one. That would extend dial tone to all the jacks without
having to go around to every jack to switch over to the Blue pair.

There could be tap connections made anywhere in the house where the
wire is accessible. There are likely a few daisy chained jacks as well.

Or

The jacks were wired/connected by a hack.

Telephone require two conductors to work. The color of the
insulation is irrelevant. If everything works and you don't want to
make any changes then just close up the box before you break something.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:31:46 -0400, John Smith
wrote:

Would someone please decipher these phone cables?

There are four cables going into the phone box. One of the cables'
blue/dot blue conductors is terminated with a plug and plugged
into a jack. This cable's orange/dot orange conductors is spliced
with the blue/dot blue conductors of the other three cables. There
are more than 9 jacks in the house and all jacks work.

I opened two wall plates and found only one cable in the box.
Thus, these two are not daisy-chained. I assume there is one more
such box somewhere.

What's going on here? Why is orange/dot orange spliced with
blue/dot blue? And how come those three cables still work (can
dial in and out) when they seem not plugged into the phone box?
Thanks.

The first cable blue may feed a security system and return on the
orange to feed the other line 1 jacks.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2010 10:31 AM, John Smith wrote:
Would someone please decipher these phone cables?

There are four cables going into the phone box. One of the cables'
blue/dot blue conductors is terminated with a plug and plugged into a
jack. This cable's orange/dot orange conductors is spliced with the
blue/dot blue conductors of the other three cables. There are more than
9 jacks in the house and all jacks work.

I opened two wall plates and found only one cable in the box. Thus,
these two are not daisy-chained. I assume there is one more such box
somewhere.

What's going on here? Why is orange/dot orange spliced with blue/dot
blue? And how come those three cables still work (can dial in and out)
when they seem not plugged into the phone box? Thanks.

Someone already mentioned the possibility of an alarm system, if
so, there is a special jack called an "RJ31X" somewhere in a closet
or basement. The phone line is fed to the jack then back to all the
phones in the house. The purpose of the jack is to switch the phones
lines back to the phones in case of alarm system malfunction. The lines
are switched back when you unplug the alarm system from the RJ31X.

http://www.hometech.com/learn/rj31x.html

TDD