Posted to alt.home.repair
RES RES is offline

Default Oak Flooring

How is hardwood flooring fastened down over a concrete slab. This is the
real oak that is then sanded and finished.

If an oak floor, such as the above, has been refinished once, can it be
sanded and refinished again for a third go-round?

If a natural colored oak floor that has been refinished previously is sanded
out, can it be stained a darker color?

Thank you in advance.

Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RES" wrote in message
How is hardwood flooring fastened down over a concrete slab. This is the
real oak that is then sanded and finished.

Probably an adhesive. Not usually done over concrete though.

If an oak floor, such as the above, has been refinished once, can it be
sanded and refinished again for a third go-round?

If a natural colored oak floor that has been refinished previously is
sanded out, can it be stained a darker color?

Thank you in advance.

Yes
Yes
You're welcome

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 00:36:37 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"RES" wrote in message
How is hardwood flooring fastened down over a concrete slab. This is the
real oak that is then sanded and finished.

Probably an adhesive. Not usually done over concrete though.

It's actually done pretty regularly around here where the slab house is king.
I have bamboo over concrete, which isn't all that great of an idea as it turns
out. Some day I'll probably rip it up and put down some sort of hardwood.

If an oak floor, such as the above, has been refinished once, can it be
sanded and refinished again for a third go-round?

If a natural colored oak floor that has been refinished previously is
sanded out, can it be stained a darker color?

Thank you in advance.

Yes
Yes
You're welcome

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 00:29:29 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
Probably an adhesive. Not usually done over concrete though.

It's actually done pretty regularly around here where the slab house
is king. I have bamboo over concrete, which isn't all that great of
an idea as it turns out. Some day I'll probably rip it up and put
down some sort of hardwood.

Just curious. Why is it a bad idea?

Bamboo doesn't seem to like glue. There are "hollow" spots under the floor.
The "good" news is that I don't think it'll be any trouble to take up. :-(

It's crap bamboo, too, but that's not pertinent to the discussion of
flooring-on-slab.

Posted to alt.home.repair

None of us can answer. Have a local hardwood floor man check. It
has to do with how much material is left before getting into the
tongues. Most floors can be sanded 3 times, again depending on
how heavy each sanding has been.

Be VERY cautious about staining the floor dark. Make sure you go
see several full rooms somewhere with a dark stain. It is
decision from which you cannot recover. I've known several people
to regret the decision.

--
DanG

Flooring [email protected] UK diy 0 April 13th 07 09:08 AM
Natura engineered wooden flooring from Flooring Supplies - any experiences? Mark Walters UK diy 3 February 15th 05 09:24 PM
Oak Flooring [email protected] UK diy 3 February 15th 05 07:27 PM
Flooring Home Repair 2 November 9th 03 02:36 PM
New Kitchen: Flooring b4 units or units b4 flooring? Vortex UK diy 8 November 7th 03 07:00 PM