Posted to alt.home.repair

Default peculiar fuse sizes in fuse block

Hi.
I have 100amp service to my home, entering the main old(er) fuse panel
to a 100AMP fuse block, then splitting 3ways: one set of wires to a
separate new(er) panel (with about 20 circuit breakers for the various
parts of the house), and to two fuse blocks on the same old main panel
(one for electric range, and one for clothes dryer).

I checked the clothes dryer fuse block. It has 2-30amp cartridge
fuses which go to a #10AWG wire to the dryer.

I checked the electric range fuse block. It has 1-60amp cartridge
fuse, and 1-45amp cartridge fuse. As best I can tell, it looks like
they go to a #8AWG wire to the electric range.

I'm wondering if maybe the previous home owner mixed-and-matched
because that's what he had available.

What rating should the range fuses be?
Advice appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
Theodore.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"millinghill" wrote in message
Hi.
I have 100amp service to my home, entering the main old(er) fuse panel
to a 100AMP fuse block, then splitting 3ways: one set of wires to a
separate new(er) panel (with about 20 circuit breakers for the various
parts of the house), and to two fuse blocks on the same old main panel
(one for electric range, and one for clothes dryer).

I checked the clothes dryer fuse block. It has 2-30amp cartridge
fuses which go to a #10AWG wire to the dryer.

I checked the electric range fuse block. It has 1-60amp cartridge
fuse, and 1-45amp cartridge fuse. As best I can tell, it looks like
they go to a #8AWG wire to the electric range.

I'm wondering if maybe the previous home owner mixed-and-matched
because that's what he had available.

What rating should the range fuses be?

Normally a stove is rated at 40 amp with a #8 wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:39:06 -0700 (PDT), millinghill
wrote:

[...]

The 60 is wrong, the 45 is probably wrong too. If this house has a
split bus 100a panel it was probably wired with TW 60c wire. Put 40s
in there.

I agree completely. 40 max on TW 60c wire. 40 is really all an electric
stove needs anyway.

--
Colbyt