Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Floor epoxy recommendations

The house we're trying to buy (a Short Sale) has a plain, gray, concrete
floor. My plan is to first pressure wash it, then go over it with dilute
Muratic acid, followed by a gentle flushing to remove the drywall dust,
drywall mud and other gunk deposited by subcontractors. Then, I want to
coat it with a dark brown epoxy with vinyl flakes in it.

I know that the dark brown color will make the garage darker than it
presently is, but in NV, auto tires pick up carbon from the effect of UV on
asphalt and leave tracks almost immediately. The dark brown color disguises
the tracks.

I checked at HD and Lowe's for a dark brown epoxy garage floor coating with
no success. They offer a very limited range of colors. Where would you all
recommend finding good 2-part epoxy garage floor coating with the vinyl
flakes?

Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 10:39*pm, "Nonnymus" wrote:
The house we're trying to buy (a Short Sale) has a plain, gray, concrete
floor. *My plan is to first pressure wash it, then go over it with dilute
Muratic acid, followed by a gentle flushing to remove the drywall dust,
drywall mud and other gunk deposited by subcontractors. *Then, I want to
coat it with a dark brown epoxy with vinyl flakes in it.

I know that the dark brown color will make the garage darker than it
presently is, but in NV, auto tires pick up carbon from the effect of UV on
asphalt and leave tracks almost immediately. *The dark brown color disguises
the tracks.

I checked at HD and Lowe's for a dark brown epoxy garage floor coating with
no success. *They offer a very limited range of colors. *Where would you all
recommend finding good 2-part epoxy garage floor coating with the vinyl
flakes?

Rustoleum EpoxyShield comes in a tintable base, so you can tint it
whatever color you want. Home Depot sells the standard colors and
will special order the tintable base for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks- that was not mentioned when I asked about colors.

Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 11:09*pm, "Nonnymus" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

If you ask questions at Home Depot you'll get one of three categories
of answer:
ill-informed, wrong and absurd.

If you have questions, go to the pro desk and ask them to check the
manufacturer's product line for you. Better yet, do the homework
yourself and bring the information to the pro desk and have them order
it. If they carry a particular manufacturer's product, I am almost
certain that they will be able to special order pretty much any other
product from that manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 7, 9:39*pm, "Nonnymus" wrote:
[...]

I've had epoxy garage floors since 1974. Some commercial, others home
based. Sears, Glidden, other two part systems are good. What I found
was that adding sand, sprinkles or other cosmetics shortened the life
of traffic areas dramatically. The nice smooth un-gooped epoxy paint
will last for years and look good, besides being far easier to keep
clean. Cosmetics, or practicality, you make the call.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

HC oil concrete stain from Sherwin Williams will might outlast paint
and it doesnt peel. I did mine in 86. It will wear away but be easier
to recoat since it doesnt have the gloss you need to sand off paint to
recoat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

Better yet dont go to HD, go to a real paint store that have people
that know the products they live by.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 12:40*am, Joe wrote:
[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

years?

i believe concrete is best left plain concrete.

otherwise every X years you must recoat with whatever the latest
greatest last forever coating is which will cost a fortune, and sooner
or later fail...

the most practical solution is forget about it or get that garage
floor sheet material installed, it just lays there.

vehicle tires get very hot after a long drive, over time the heat
damages whatever coating you use
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 9:01*am, " wrote:

i believe concrete is best left plain concrete.

At the very least it should be sealed, otherwise it's a bitch to keep
clean.

otherwise every X years you must recoat with whatever the latest
greatest last forever coating is which will cost a fortune, and sooner
or later fail...

Garages are no longer strictly utilitarian. People are dressing them
up. I don't have a problem with that, if that's what they want to do.

the most practical solution is forget about it or get that garage
floor sheet material installed, it just lays there.

That won't be cheaper than an epoxy paint job.

vehicle tires get very hot after a long drive, over time the heat
damages whatever coating you use

What's very hot? Not more than, what, 120 F? It's not like the guy's
pulling into the pits at Talladega. He's pulling into his garage, and
it's probably a safe bet that his driveway doesn't open onto an
interstate highway. It's a non-issue for epoxy paint. Latex may be
another story, but I'd tend to think that the paint company tweaks
paint for its intended environment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Aug 8, 9:01 am, " wrote:

[...]

The home is in Las Vegas, where air temperatures alone can be 115f or more.
Asphalt streets can be as hot as 150f or 160f. The ultraviolet light and
heat degrades asphaltic materials, including roofing, leaving a layer of
carbon on the surface in as short a period of time as weeks. What happens
is that any traffic, including foot traffic, across or along a street picks
up this carbon dust and transports it to concrete or other surfaces. I can
pressure wash my concrete driveway and within a few days can track the
passage of every tire that rolls across it.

As a footnote, in Las Vegas and similar communities, it is considered good
manners to remove your shoes before entering a house. It's like Japanese
culture, but from a bit more practical level. The dust also gets onto shoe
soles and any traffic into a house, even from a garage, leaves the same
blackish tracks. Here, we clean our carpets 3-4 times a year and even
ceramic or Travertine flooring needs a similar cleaning to prevent the black
traffic paths from becoming permenent.

My concern with any flooring other than epoxy, such as lay-in tile, is that
our two garages are at right angles to one another and it's necessary to
turn the front wheels to back out of either. The squirming of a tire on
anything really creates wear and tear quickly. My neighbor has a black rug
that was given him by his wife. It's a garage carpet that is intended to go
under a Corvette, including the logo. It's fine as long as he keeps his
hands off the steering wheel when the front tires are on it, but it already
has bunches and a tear where he learned this.

We presently have a Rustoleum coating on our garage here, but I was hoping
for brand names or other helpful suggestions about coatings that might give
me a better experience in the next house we're considering to purchase. My
present epoxy floor is holding up well, except where it it slightly exposed
outside the garage doors. There, even the vinyl chips are already fading
after 4 years of sun exposure and I'm seeing a milky sheen, similar to
oxidation on the clear coat. The coating is a light tan and despite
frequent scrubbings, there are now permanent tracks where the car pulls in
and oval area where the tires rest.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

If you ask questions at Home Depot you'll get one of three categories
of answer: ill-informed, wrong and absurd.

I agree. I always get two part epoxy for garage floors at a real paint store -
and that doesn't mean the strip mall Sherwin Williams. Benjamin Moore has an
Industrial Coating line that is excellent and can be tinted to any desired
color.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

The nice smooth un-gooped epoxy paint
will last for years and look good, besides being far easier to keep
clean. Cosmetics, or practicality, you make the call.

I agree. The only tradeoff is safety. If you live in an area that sees snow,
slush or even a lot of rain, the glossy epoxy and be very slippery. It cleans
and wears nice, but you may want to throw a carpet runner down for walking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

years?

Years. A good two part epoxy (not floor paint, not basement paint, not concrete
stain, not big box store garage floor goop) will last over 10 years with no
recoating, but it's essential that it be applied properly. For most garages,
that means 80% of the effort occurs before you start spreading the epoxy.

And that's personal experience from multiple garages.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 8, 8:01*am, " wrote:

snip

vehicle tires get very hot after a long drive, over time the heat
damages whatever coating you use

The commercial garage floor I epoxied in 1974 is still in use, the
high traffic areas have been recoated a couple of times, and believe
me, whenever one of the techs pulled a Porsche into the lift area
after a test drive the tires were one helluva lot hotter than the ones
on your Yugo. And no damage. Ever.

Joe