Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Balancing valve

I picked up one of these cheap today,
http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...Cat=2186&ref=2

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never
had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message

I picked up one of these cheap today,
http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...Cat=2186&ref=2

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never
had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

Can't handle money, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 1:16*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Eric in North TX" wrote in ...

I picked up one of these cheap today,
http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...d=474&parCat=2...

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never
had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

Can't handle money, eh?

I could spare $2, I'll Ebay it for a profit if I can't use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Eric in North TX wrote in
:

I picked up one of these cheap today,
http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...474&parCat=218
6&ref=2

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never
had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

I think we have a version of this made by Delta. Ours is a bathtub/
showervalve that keeps the temperature of the water rather constant,
independent of whether anyone flushes the toilet. While some of these
valves work with thermostats, this one keeps the temperature constant by
changing the flow of hot and cold in an inverse proportion to their
pressure. No more jumping around in the shower because someone flushes ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 1:33*pm, Han wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote :

I picked up one of these cheap today,
http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...474&parCat=218
6&ref=2

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never
had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

I think we have a version of this made by Delta. *Ours is a bathtub/
showervalve that keeps the temperature of the water rather constant,
independent of whether anyone flushes the toilet. *While some of these
valves work with thermostats, this one keeps the temperature constant by
changing the flow of hot and cold in an inverse proportion to their
pressure. *No more jumping around in the shower because someone flushes ...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Thanks, that answers the question, I suspected something like that,
but just never had the experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 2:11*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
I picked up one of these cheap today,http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...d=474&parCat=2...

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never
had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

I have identified your problem:

"I picked up one of these cheap today..."

Where did you pick it up?

Sounds like you didn't read enough off the box...

When you buy something because it was cheap, you seldom
end up with exactly what you need...

Your solution in this case if you really want to use this valve
is to install an independent diverter on the output of the mixing
valve...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
On Aug 6, 2:11 pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
I picked up one of these cheap
today,http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...d=474&parCat=2...

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never
had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

I have identified your problem:

"I picked up one of these cheap today..."

Where did you pick it up?

Sounds like you didn't read enough off the box...

When you buy something because it was cheap, you seldom
end up with exactly what you need...

But sometimes "cheap" is good enough. Take dating, for example...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Eric in North TX wrote in
:

On Aug 6, 1:33*pm, Han wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote
innews:212928da-2ec5-4a3b-aa37

:

I picked up one of these cheap today,
http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...id=474&parCat=
218
6&ref=2

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've
never had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

I think we have a version of this made by Delta. *Ours is a bathtub/
showervalve that keeps the temperature of the water rather constant,
independent of whether anyone flushes the toilet. *While some of
these valves work with thermostats, this one keeps the temperature
constant by changing the flow of hot and cold in an inverse
proportion to their pressure. *No more jumping around in the shower
because someone flushes

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Thanks, that answers the question, I suspected something like that,
but just never had the experience.

I love my Delta, and hate when I have to shower somewhere where there is
no such valve. Dear SON!!! Pay attention, please!

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 3:22*pm, Han wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote :

On Aug 6, 1:33*pm, Han wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote
innews:212928da-2ec5-4a3b-aa37

:

I picked up one of these cheap today,
http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...id=474&parCat=

218
6&ref=2

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've
never had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

I think we have a version of this made by Delta. *Ours is a bathtub/
showervalve that keeps the temperature of the water rather constant,
independent of whether anyone flushes the toilet. *While some of
these valves work with thermostats, this one keeps the temperature
constant by changing the flow of hot and cold in an inverse
proportion to their pressure. *No more jumping around in the shower
because someone flushes

*...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Thanks, that answers the question, I suspected something like that,
but just never had the experience.

I love my Delta, and hate when I have to shower somewhere where there is
no such valve. *Dear SON!!! *Pay attention, please!

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

I could easily work it in we have 3 full bathrooms, only one is used
mainly as a shower, so that would be my target. I'll find a diverter,
at my price to finish the upstairs project. I have so little in this
part a little experimentation may be in order I have good access to
the plumbing. So far only positive reviews, and humor poking at my
cheapness, or perhaps incompetence, or both.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Eric in North TX wrote in
:

On Aug 6, 3:22*pm, Han wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote
innews:b2e74050-dae9-4a52-80b0

:

http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...?pid=474&parCa
[...]

Just remember, the valve parts are plastic (Delrin). See the caution
notice on the installation pdf.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 4:46*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Aug 6, 2:03*pm, Evan wrote:

On Aug 6, 2:11*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:

I picked up one of these cheap today,http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/...d=474&parCat=2...

I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never
had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

I have identified your problem:

"I picked up one of these cheap today..."

Where did you pick it up?

Sounds like you didn't read enough off the box...

When you buy something because it was cheap, you seldom
end up with exactly what you need...

Your solution in this case if you really want to use this valve
is to install an independent diverter on the output of the mixing
valve...

~~ Evan

Box?

Yes... Valves like that come packaged in boxes when they are
new... If you bought it without the box then you are taking your
life in your own hands because you could be missing pieces and
not know it until after you have installed it...

This is why buying the cheapest thing you can find from ebay or
elsewhere is not really a bargain... You also will not have any
sort of warranty on the installed item since it was resold by
someone who did not install it professionally...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote

Yes... Valves like that come packaged in boxes when they are
new... If you bought it without the box then you are taking your
life in your own hands because you could be missing pieces and
not know it until after you have installed it...

I tried to find statistics on how many people have been killed by unboxed
balancing valves. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but I found none.
Do you have a reference?

This is why buying the cheapest thing you can find from ebay or
elsewhere is not really a bargain... You also will not have any
sort of warranty on the installed item since it was resold by
someone who did not install it professionally...

I'm not sure I follow you here. Any plumbing item not installed by a
professional gets the warranty voided? All that stuff at Home Depot that is
bought by amateurs is no longer covered unless they do the install? This is
important to know since the OP here has $2 invested and I'm sure he is
concerned. Maybe he could have bought an extended warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're talking about the Delta version, the complete valve is kind of a
no-brainer. It's a machined brass casting that is sweat to the incoming and
outgoing lines and has a cartridge that inserts and is held in place with a
ring nut. I don't see that as taking your life in your hands, even
metaphorically. Parts to make up for whatever might have been missing are
bubble pack items at Lowe's and HD. I have them in our showers and keep a
couple new cartridges in my shop for replacements, since our water eats
plumbing quickly here. Changing out a cartridge or even cleaning the old
one and slapping in new cup washers can be done in 10-15 minutes, usually.

Nonny

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 2:03*pm, Evan wrote:

[...]

WTF, LOL thanks Ed for handling that one. the horror, exploding
plumbing valves on the next Geraldo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 4:26*pm, "don &/or Lucille"
wrote:
Or why not get a bathtub filling spout with a built-in diverter?
"Eric in North TX" wrote in ...

The spout I have is 14K gold plated, and the replacement would be more
expensive and less satisfactory than a diverter valve.

Brass Ball Valve,Gas Valve,Needle Valve,Angle Valve Sale on good price valvetom Home Repair 0 November 27th 06 05:48 PM
A/c balancing Mark Savoy Home Repair 2 May 30th 06 05:26 PM
Valve,butterfly valve,ball valve,check valve,globe valve [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 14th 06 09:23 AM
standalone pressure balancing valve [email protected] UK diy 3 August 8th 05 11:44 AM