Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Goo-Gone substitute(s)

On Jul 30, 6:06*pm, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
Something ordinarily in one's entourage of household chemicals?
Label stuck on plastic is the target.

Suggestions?

Look over the specialty 3M chemicals at your local autobody supply
store. This is a common task for autobody techs and odds are there is
something that will work well for you.
If that is too much effort, try the 3M product web site for the
material you need, It can even be ordered online.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:29:28 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk
wrote:

Let's see more detail. Hmmmm OK. A paper, adhesive-backed label on the
decorative trim of a home computer. There. Now let me go get that paint
thinner. Maybe I can just melt the plastic and label off.

Coat the label with a thin layer of peanut butter (smooth not chunky).
Allow it to set for a couple hours as the paper will absorb oil from
the PB. Try it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You've been told more than one time that paint thinner is
acceptable, WD40 is acceptable, Lighter Fluid is acceptable,
gasoline is acceptable. None of these will hurt, melt, mar,
stain, or otherwise harm your plastic case on your computer. Goo
Gon is readily available at any grocery store. What do you want
from the group, you've turned down every logical suggestion you've
been given.

I guess you could try cooking oil. Avoid nail polish remover.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:26:52 -0400, BQ340 wrote:

On 7/30/2010 7:24 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:20:36 -0400, BQ340 wrote:

On 7/30/2010 7:11 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:08:56 -0400, BQ340 wrote:

On 7/30/2010 7:06 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
Something ordinarily in one's entourage of household
chemicals?
Label stuck on plastic is the target.

Suggestions?

Paint thinner, gasoline or lighter fluid works for me.

MikeB

Let's see,,, ah yes I did say "on plastic."

All 3 come in plastic cans, so what is the problem? What type
of
plastic do you have?

MikeB

Not chemical resistant plastic.

Thanks for the troll attempt, now move along.

Special situations will require more detail on your part for a
solution
that will be acceptable- or are yo going to keep us guessing?

Let's see more detail. Hmmmm OK. A paper, adhesive-backed label
on the
decorative trim of a home computer. There. Now let me go get
that paint
thinner. Maybe I can just melt the plastic and label off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:19:29 -0400, Rocinante
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:06:04 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Something ordinarily in one's entourage of household chemicals?
Label stuck on plastic is the target.

Suggestions?

Just use hot water and a rag. Goo gone and goof off will ruin the plastic.
I wouldn't even try fantastik or 409.

Congrats on your 89 IQ score (low average), although you should have done
better.

I use goo-gone on computer cases without any problems . I don't soak
them in the stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:30:31 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

You've been told more than one time that paint thinner is
acceptable, WD40 is acceptable, Lighter Fluid is acceptable,
gasoline is acceptable. None of these will hurt, melt, mar,
stain, or otherwise harm your plastic case on your computer. Goo
Gon is readily available at any grocery store. What do you want
from the group, you've turned down every logical suggestion you've
been given.

I guess you could try cooking oil. Avoid nail polish remover.

SOME lighter fluids, and Gasoline, will damage most styrene plastics,
including ABS.

MOT substitute? ct UK diy 11 October 25th 09 10:49 PM
substitute for MDF Eigenvector Woodworking 23 February 25th 08 12:56 AM
Cedar substitute Chrisgiraffe Woodworking 6 November 16th 07 06:53 PM
LM1281 Substitute? Chris F. Electronics Repair 2 May 10th 06 03:17 PM
OK to always substitute low ESR capacitors? larry moe 'n curly Electronics Repair 10 October 5th 05 03:42 PM