Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tenants' refrigerator problem

Our upstairs tenants (two family house, we live downstairs) thought that
their refrigerator was too warm, so they set both the freezer and
refrigerator to maximum cold. They now say that both areas are much too
warm. This is a 12 year old basic frostfree top-freezer Hotpoint
refrigerator.

I told them to set both freezer and refrigerator controls to "normal" and to
wait 24 hours. However, if this does not solve the problem, is there
anything I should try before just replacing the refrigerator? At 12 years
old (although ours is 24 years old) I don't think it's worth a professional
repair; nor do I want to spend a long time on a fix as our tenants deserve
working appliances. On the other hand, I don't want to throw things out if
there could be a reasonable fix especially because delivery is an issue (to
get to the second floor, the refrigerator will have to be turned horizontal
and lifted over the banister on the second floor landing).
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Get a couple of thermometers into the fridge first, to be sure everyone
agrees on what "too hot" or "too cold" means. The tenants may be right, but
they may also be wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/2010 9:34 PM, Marilyn & Bob wrote:
[...]

Someone has already mentioned cleaning the condenser coils.
That's the hot part with a fan and more than likely, it's
underneath the fridge behind a grill. A long cleaning brush
is made for reaching under there and shop-vac helps too.

http://www.energyproaz.com/Refrig_brush

Things that go wrong with your basic top freezer, bottom
fan cooled condenser refrigerator have to do with dirt
first. There are two fans, the condenser fan underneath
to blow air over the condenser coils, the evaporator fan
in the freezer which blows air from the freezer section
throughout the refrigerator and the defrost timer which
can be located in several locations. The most common
locations for the defrost timer are inside in the same
housing as the thermostat or underneath behind the grill.
Those little motors usually last for many years but I've
seen lighting strikes knock them out without damaging the
compressor. The first thing to quit working from wear is
usually the defrost timer and this will keep the fridge
from cooling effectively. Whenever Summertime rolls around,
a refrigerator in marginal condition or one that has a
dirty condenser will stop cooling. Remember, clean first.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
Our upstairs tenants (two family house, we live downstairs) thought that
their refrigerator was too warm, so they set both the freezer and
refrigerator to maximum cold. They now say that both areas are much too
warm.

Seems pretty clear they turned the dials the wrong direction...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Check the coils as already mentioned. Be sure the evaporator fan inside is
working too. That is what circulates the air between the two compartments.
If it is stopped the coils can freeze and give the result you are seeing.

Next is the defrost timer and heating element. If they are not working,
coils can freeze. Quick temporary fix is to open the doors and let it thaw
for 12 hours or so and it wil be OK for a few days until the coil freezes
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Be sure to check the timer.
All the timers I've ever seen have a slot so you can manually turn
them to check the run/defrost cycle while it's still in place. I'd
check the timer for sure because if the frig is iced up solid the
circulating fan will be unable to circulate air {thus the fridge will
get warm) and it will need to be thawed out so the fan can circulate the
air after a new timer is installed.
Here ya go,
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...frosttimer.php
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:34:05 -0400, "Marilyn & Bob"
wrote:

I told them to set both freezer and refrigerator controls to "normal" and to

There should be air blowing out from the bottom of the fridge. If
there is, that's fine, but when there wasn't for me, I move the fridge
out and found a dead mouse stuck in the fan. It had been like this a
couple weeks, but when I knocked the mouse out with a stick, the fan
started fine. Problem solved?

I thought so but a few days later I noticed it was still warm inside.
Again no air at the bottom. Again take the fridge out, and I guess I
knocked a block of insulation out of place because now it was in the
way of the fan.

I thought I might have damaged the fridge by running without a fan for
3 weeks but that was 10 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Others have offered good advice but he are a couple of points to keep in
mind.

Many modern units do not have a defrost timer like mentioned. They rely on
a different system. I don't recall what it is called.

Sometimes due to operator error even a frost free unit can form an ice
blockage and restrict the airflow. This can happen when the unit is set too
cold or some food restricts the airflow from the freezer to fridge. Remove
food, turn off unit, open the door and allow plenty of time for it all to
melt. Faster results can be obtained by removing covers and using a hair
dryer or heat gun on the lowest setting.

Turn unit back on a check to make sure that all the little fans are moving
air.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen this before. Is your tenant a black woman on the west side
of Rochester? No, she was on the first floor. But, it's a common thing
with renters. What happened with the Rochester folks, the freezer got
too cold, and the fridge warmed up.

It sounds as if something broke, and the knobs were secondary. Much
like when the car runs out of gas, and so you tromp the gas pedal to
the floor.

As others have suggested. Check for fans working, dusty coils, frost
on the back or floor of the freezer. Please let us know what you find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Thanks all. I'll follow your suggestions. Just one more question.
Assuming these things don't fix the problem and I need to purchase a new
refrigerator, I assume that there is no problem in having the new
refrigerator in a horizontal position for the 30 seconds to one minute it
takes to lift it over the banister. I assume we will plug it in about 5-10
minutes after that maneuver.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
[snipped]

Chris, you've been asked politely a number of times to fix your broken posting
format. Your persistent refusal to do so demonstrates that you are either too
stupid to understand the problem, or too rude to care. This has led a number
of people to killfile you, myself included.

Now I see you've changed your ID, in an apparent effort to evade the
killfiles. This leads me to conclude that you are also a nymshifting troll who
is either too stupid to understand or too rude to care.

plonk (again)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Marilyn & Bob wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

[...]

oil takes a while to settle back down, and it gets into places that it
shouldn't if you tilt it on it's side. i'd wait a bit after setting it
vertical before plugging it in. 10 minutes would be a minimum time. the
instructions usually state 24 hours if it's stored in a horizontal position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[snipped]

Chris, you've been asked politely a number of times to fix your broken
posting
format. Your persistent refusal to do so demonstrates that you are either
too
stupid to understand the problem, or too rude to care. This has led a
number
of people to killfile you, myself included.

Now I see you've changed your ID, in an apparent effort to evade the
killfiles. This leads me to conclude that you are also a nymshifting troll
who
is either too stupid to understand or too rude to care.

plonk (again)

He just *HAS* to be different. Not surprising when you consider what Mormons
call "lingerie".
http://www.suspensionofdisbelief.net...et/garment.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:
[snipped]

Chris, you've been asked politely a number of times to fix your broken
posting
format. Your persistent refusal to do so demonstrates that you are either
too
stupid to understand the problem, or too rude to care. This has led a
number
of people to killfile you, myself included.

Now I see you've changed your ID, in an apparent effort to evade the
killfiles. This leads me to conclude that you are also a nymshifting
troll who
is either too stupid to understand or too rude to care.

plonk (again)

He just *HAS* to be different. Not surprising when you consider what
Mormons call "lingerie".
http://www.suspensionofdisbelief.net...et/garment.jpg

Just my opinion, when the best shot you can take is to insult another
person's religion, it might be the time to keep your mouth shut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m...

wrote:
[...]

But it was so easy to fulfill his unspoken request for such treatment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m...

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

Thanks all. *I'll follow your suggestions. *Just one more question.
Assuming these things don't fix the problem and I need to purchase a new
refrigerator, I assume that there is no problem in having the new
refrigerator in a horizontal *position for the 30 seconds to one minute it
takes to lift it over the banister. *I assume we will plug it in about 5-10
minutes after that maneuver.
--
Peace,
BobJ- Hide quoted text -

I'll bet a large sum that it is either the defrost timer or maybe the
defrost heating element itself. With all the warm weather, the unit
was proooobably running more, and any defrost heater problem would be
magnified.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message
Marilyn & Bob wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

Thanks all. I'll follow your suggestions. Just one more question.
Assuming these things don't fix the problem and I need to purchase a
new refrigerator, I assume that there is no problem in having the new
refrigerator in a horizontal position for the 30 seconds to one
minute it takes to lift it over the banister. I assume we will plug
it in about 5-10 minutes after that maneuver.

oil takes a while to settle back down, and it gets into places that it
shouldn't if you tilt it on it's side. i'd wait a bit after setting it
vertical before plugging it in. 10 minutes would be a minimum time. the
instructions usually state 24 hours if it's stored in a horizontal
position.

But it's not being stored in a horizontal position, only placed that way for
30 seconds to one minute when being lifted over a banister. But I'm
certainly willing to wait 10 minutes.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message
Marilyn & Bob wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

[...]

My refrigerator's instruction book said something about what to do in this
situation. Yours will come with instructions too. You'll read them and that
will answer this question better than any of us can. Now hush about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m...

wrote:
[...]

I donno. Mormons are funny. One of my favorite South Park episode rips on
Mormons. What about Scientology?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimT" wrote in message
net...

m...

wrote:
[...]

I have a southern baptist friend who says it's god's will that only a
christian can be elected president of the USA. No Jews. She heard this from
her pastor, who runs Cornerstone Baptist whatever in Nashville. Big
business, lots of believers like my friend.

This is supposed to be pretty funny. Haven't read it yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Living-Bi.../dp/0743291476

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look for frost, in the back of the freezer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

I'll bet a large sum that it is either the defrost timer or maybe the
defrost heating element itself. With all the warm weather, the unit
was proooobably running more, and any defrost heater problem would be
magnified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"JimT" wrote:

I dunno. Mormons are funny. One of my favorite South Park episode rips on
Mormons. What about Scientology?

No funnier than lutherans. I can't think of a religion that isn't stark
raving mad.

And they all preach about love.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre

Mark Twain knew the truth:

Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only
animal that has the True Religion -- several of them. He is the only animal
that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't
straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to
smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven. The higher animals have
no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out in the
Hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste...The Lowest Animal
essay, 1897

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I have a southern baptist friend who says it's god's will that only a
christian can be elected president of the USA. No Jews. She heard this from
her pastor, who runs Cornerstone Baptist whatever in Nashville. Big
business, lots of believers like my friend.

Funny how clowns like that seem unable to read the Constitution:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or
public trust under the United States." [Article VI, paragraph 3]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a southern baptist friend who says it's god's will that only a
christian can be elected president of the USA. No Jews. She heard this
from
her pastor, who runs Cornerstone Baptist whatever in Nashville. Big
business, lots of believers like my friend.

Funny how clowns like that seem unable to read the Constitution:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office
or
public trust under the United States." [Article VI, paragraph 3]

These people believe we are a "Christian nation". I once asked my friend if
she'd ever read the actual writings of people like Jefferson or Hamilton.
She said "I don't have to. The pastor has read them. I listen to him." I've
pointed out to her that she's walking into a gigantic cash register every
Sunday, but that tends to have a deleterious effect on our conversations,
even though I find it funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 9:34*pm, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
[...]

If coils are clean it could be the defrost timer broke and is stuck to
On, or maybe low on freon and it could be recharged for about 150, I
buy used refrigerators for tenants usualy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , ransley wrote:
On Jul 26, 9:34=A0pm, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
Our upstairs tenants (two family house, we live downstairs) thought that
their refrigerator was too warm, so they set both the freezer and
refrigerator to maximum cold. They now say that both areas are much too
warm. This is a 12 year old basic frostfree top-freezer Hotpoint
refrigerator.

[...]

If coils are clean it could be the defrost timer broke and is stuck to
On, or maybe low on freon and it could be recharged for about 150, I
buy used refrigerators for tenants usualy

Or it could be that they just turned the dials the wrong direction. Seems like
a pretty obvious explanation: it's too warm, turn the dials, now it's much too
warm... turn them the other way, ya think?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I wish her pastor would explain how, in a country that is
predominantly protestant, we end up with a Supreme Court with all
Catholics and Jews.BG [all appointed by Protestants, I think.]

Some sort of Masonic Zionist cabal would be my guess.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tenants' refrigerator problem: Conclusion

wrote:
On Jul 26, 9:34=A0pm, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
Our upstairs tenants (two family house, we live downstairs) thought that
their refrigerator was too warm, so they set both the freezer and
refrigerator to maximum cold. They now say that both areas are much too
warm. This is a 12 year old basic frostfree top-freezer Hotpoint
refrigerator.

[...]

If coils are clean it could be the defrost timer broke and is stuck to
On, or maybe low on freon and it could be recharged for about 150, I
buy used refrigerators for tenants usualy

Or it could be that they just turned the dials the wrong direction. Seems
like
a pretty obvious explanation: it's too warm, turn the dials, now it's much
too
warm... turn them the other way, ya think?

No I don't think they turned them both the wrong way, but I learned once
from a refrigerator repairman that the freezer control actually just
controls the amount of cold air going into the refrigerator (or remaining in
the freezer), putting it on coldest can screw everything up. I am not sure
why the Manual has no explanation of *how* the controls work, or why *I*
couldn't find any info on this on the web, but it seems to be accurate. I
instructed the tenants to put both controls back to normal. One week later,
I go a note that the refrigerator was cold, but the freezer was not quite
cold enough. I suggested they move the freezer control colder one notch
(and to not touch the refrigerator control). I also vacuumed under the
refrigerator using a special extension I have (their kickplate is not
removable). However I picked up almost no dust. A few days later they
reported that everything was fine.
--
Peace,
BobJ