Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Update on My Post Pickup Load for Carrying Pre-Mix Concrete

On 7/13/2010 10:02 PM, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle out
of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on it.
The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great posts. I even got some good chuckles.

My problem has been solved, thanks to Dear Dad.

This morning he had the air in the tires checked, filled the truck up with gas, and brought home 15 sixty-pound bags of concrete. Then he said, "Here you go, it is a gift". He got it in town, one mile from home, whereas I was going to go to Ziggy's where I have to go tomorrow night to pick up the rest of the vinyl gate/fence material. My plan was to fill the truck up with gas on my way home. I will still use the truck for the rest of the material, but I owe my parents a very nice dinner in the near future.

My parents are the best, and everyone here is too.

Many thanks.

Kate