Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Necessary to replace skylights when re-roofing?

I am looking to get a new roof soon. It is approx 20 years old ( 2
layers on roof now), as well as the 2 skylights. The skylights are in
good shape and do not leak. However, whoever installed the skylights
( prior owner of house) had put them on top of the old shingles
(instead of the plywood sheathing), then the new roof was placed
afterwords. So I have 2 questions.

1) If the skylights are in good shape, should I just leave them? The
inside is boxed in finished sheetrock and it will require tearing it
out to replace the skylight

2) If I keep the skylights, will the skylight flashing pose a problem
with the new roof since it is resting slightly higher on the old roof
and sheathing?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:
I am looking to get a new roof soon. It is approx 20 years old ( 2
layers on roof now), as well as the 2 skylights. The skylights are in
good shape and do not leak. However, whoever installed the skylights
( prior owner of house) had put them on top of the old shingles
(instead of the plywood sheathing), then the new roof was placed
afterwords. So I have 2 questions.

1) If the skylights are in good shape, should I just leave them? The
inside is boxed in finished sheetrock and it will require tearing it
out to replace the skylight

2) If I keep the skylights, will the skylight flashing pose a problem
with the new roof since it is resting slightly higher on the old roof
and sheathing?

Should be able to take down to the exterior boxes w/o disturbing the
inside and reflash as a new installation would have been.

I would not recommend leaving old flashing and roof and trying to do
something over the top of that; that's just asking for trouble down the
road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should be able to take down to the exterior boxes w/o disturbing the
inside and reflash as a new installation would have been.

I would not recommend leaving old flashing and roof and trying to do
something over the top of that; that's just asking for trouble down the
road.

That was my next question: are the skylights attached only to the
roof, or are they attached to the ceiling joists inside?
If I can remove the skylights without disturbing the inside sheetrock,
that would be great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:51 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

Should be able to take down to the exterior boxes w/o disturbing the
inside and reflash as a new installation would have been.

I would not recommend leaving old flashing and roof and trying to do
something over the top of that; that's just asking for trouble down the
road.

That was my next question: are the skylights attached only to the
roof, or are they attached to the ceiling joists inside?
If I can remove the skylights without disturbing the inside sheetrock,
that would be great.

Try posting in roofing.com under construction preferably with pictures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here are some pics of my skylights and roof

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here are some pics

ttp://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/Skylight?feat=directlink
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here are some pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 13, 2:24*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:51 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

wrote:
Should be able to take down to the exterior boxes w/o disturbing the
inside and reflash as a new installation would have been.

I would not recommend leaving old flashing and roof and trying to do
something over the top of that; that's just asking for trouble down the
road.

That was my next question: are the skylights attached only to the
roof, or are they attached to the ceiling joists inside?
If I can remove the skylights without disturbing the inside sheetrock,
that would be great.

Yes, you can remove the skylight. Be sure to order and use the proper
Skylight Puller for your skylight.

A "Skylight Puller"? Is that anything like a "Sky Hook"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 8:48*am, Mikepier wrote:
I am looking to get a new roof soon. It is approx 20 years old ( 2
layers on roof now), as well as the 2 skylights. The skylights are in
good shape and do not leak. However, whoever installed the skylights
( prior owner of house) had put them on top of the old shingles
(instead of the plywood sheathing), then the new roof was placed
afterwords. So I have 2 questions.

1) If the skylights are in good shape, should I just leave them? The
inside is *boxed in finished sheetrock and it will require tearing it
out to replace the skylight

2) If I keep the skylights, will the skylight flashing pose a problem
with the new roof since it is resting slightly higher on the old roof
and sheathing?

The roofer is supposed to completely remove the skylights. He should
not have to disturb the sheet-rock to do this. Remove all the old
roofing material, re-install the skylights and install the new roofing
material. If he can’t do this he doesn’t deserve to be giving
estimates without knowing what the hell he should be doing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mart" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:56:51 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

Should be able to take down to the exterior boxes w/o disturbing the
inside and reflash as a new installation would have been.

I would not recommend leaving old flashing and roof and trying to do
something over the top of that; that's just asking for trouble down the
road.

That was my next question: are the skylights attached only to the
roof, or are they attached to the ceiling joists inside?
If I can remove the skylights without disturbing the inside sheetrock,
that would be great.

Try posting in roofing.com under construction preferably with pictures.

Why? The OP is getting some good info here. Are you suggesting there are
not knowledgeable replies?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
[...]

It certainly depends on the manufacturer of skylight. On Velux, you do
_not_ remove the skylight frame/box/curb, only the top so you can work the
apron/step/rear pan flashings. Also, water/ice shield or felt should be
installed up the curb, to prevent condensation from the flashings.

Some of those cheap bubble lights should be tossed, instead of trying to
reuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Here are some pics of my skylights and roof

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

The curb on your lights look very small, hard to tell from the picture.
Most curbs are either 4" or 6", which will accept proper flashing.

Do you know if the side flashing is single or step? I do not see any apron
flashing, could be the pictures?

You may want to consider new ones, simply because seals go bad on lights.
This would be an ideal time to replace, with a quality light such as Velux.
How old are these?

Remember, you want proper flashing. Mastic/tar is a very poor substitute
for flashing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...bWMg?feat=dire....

The curb on your lights look very small, hard to tell from the picture.
Most curbs are either 4" or 6", which will accept proper flashing.

Do you know if the side flashing is single or step? I do not see any apron
flashing, could be the pictures?

It's single flashing, and it does have an apron flashing

You may want to consider new ones, simply because seals go bad on lights.
This would be an ideal time to replace, with a quality light such as Velux.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The curb on your lights look very small, hard to tell from the picture.
Most curbs are either 4" or 6", which will accept proper flashing.

I think I incorrectly posted just 1 picture. Here is the proper link

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...at=directlink#
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, let's say I want to replace the skylights. Does that still involve
messing up the sheetrock inside? Or can the skylight be removed
without disturbing the inside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
OK, let's say I want to replace the skylights. Does that still involve
messing up the sheetrock inside? Or can the skylight be removed
without disturbing the inside?

If the same size is used, shouldn't be a problem. You may find the existing
drywall in the light shaft is a bit mushy, you will want to replace it, if
it is.

We don't know how the existing drywall is, in relation to the actual
skylight. There's a lot of "if's" involved, at this point it would only be
speculation to give you a yes or no answer.

Velux lights have the interior of their light, where it can be stained etc,
or drywall ran up in side to a channel in the wood. You can have the finish
appearance of stained wood, then put a thin trim boxed out at the top of
the drywall. You may be able to do this, only someone who knows how your
existing is done, will be able to tell you. And, they may not until they
get into it.

skylights? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 4 April 19th 08 09:57 PM
Skylights? phaeton Home Repair 14 November 23rd 05 05:14 PM
skylights mike hide Woodworking 3 September 11th 05 01:22 AM
Chimney Flashing: To replace (or not) when re-roofing Milwaukee Tom Home Repair 8 March 21st 05 11:26 AM