Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky boards

I have some pine boards that have sappy veins in it and they are leaking
sap. Is there any way to clean up the sap that is leaking all over the
board (stored standing up)? How do I seal up these gashes after cleaning?
Thanks

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Michael Dobony wrote:
I have some pine boards that have sappy veins in it and they are leaking
sap. Is there any way to clean up the sap that is leaking all over the
board (stored standing up)? How do I seal up these gashes after cleaning?
Thanks

Turpentine or other paint solvent will cut it.

Shellac will seal them

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:21:29 -0500, Michael Dobony
wrote:

I have some pine boards that have sappy veins in it and they are leaking
sap. Is there any way to clean up the sap that is leaking all over the
board (stored standing up)? How do I seal up these gashes after cleaning?
Thanks

Mike D.

Mineral spirits and a rag will remove the tar and not harm the wood.
Shellac is the chosen one for sealing this kind of leakage but I
wouldn't expect it to hold up against a lot of sappy wood over years
of time. Several coats of shellac might do it. I might cut out
sappy sections or use the boards as a "secondary wood" where leakage
is not a big deal (garage/closet shelving, birdhouses, construction,
etc) . Expect your cutting tools will need a good cleaning after
cutting through sap pockets, for that, kerosene. Or, save all the
extra work, consider buying clear boards.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

--

Agreed. Turpentine is the natural solvent for pine rosin. And shellac
is the basis for Killz and Zinnser's blocking type primers.

Joe

Soffit boards - like Hardie Boards; but not..? What is it? StarMan Home Repair 4 May 9th 08 05:57 PM
Leaky TRV VisionSet UK diy 3 December 22nd 06 01:18 PM
Leaky tap - how to fix? mo UK diy 17 September 2nd 06 04:36 PM
Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves Cordless Crazy UK diy 12 March 12th 06 02:11 PM
Leaky tap John Smith UK diy 14 September 1st 04 09:58 PM