Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buckling ceramic tiles

Looking at lakefront property that we know is in the flood plain. The
small house was built in 1955 out of cinder blocks. The realtor says
this happens every 4-5 years. Most of value is in the lot but my
question is about the 12x12 ceramic tiles that are buckling. Would
this likely be due to slab shrinking and swelling because of the
water?

Thanks,

Brad

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 8:10*am, "
wrote:
BradMM wrote:
Looking at lakefront property that we know is in the flood plain. *The
small house was built in 1955 out of cinder blocks. *The realtor says
this happens every 4-5 years. *Most of value is in the lot but my
question is about the 12x12 ceramic tiles that are buckling. *Would
this likely be due to slab shrinking and swelling because of the
water?

Thanks,

Brad

Or a sink hole?

Under the slab? It's very rocky so I think it would be unlikely but
we're going to get an inspection done regardless.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2010 9:22 AM, BradMM wrote:
On Jun 19, 8:10 am,
wrote:
BradMM wrote:
Looking at lakefront property that we know is in the flood plain. The
small house was built in 1955 out of cinder blocks. The realtor says
this happens every 4-5 years. Most of value is in the lot but my
question is about the 12x12 ceramic tiles that are buckling. Would
this likely be due to slab shrinking and swelling because of the
water?

Thanks,

Brad

Or a sink hole?

Under the slab? It's very rocky so I think it would be unlikely but
we're going to get an inspection done regardless.

Thanks!

It's unlikely tiles will "buckle" however the underlayment is likely the
problem. Likely those tiles are not on concrete but something more prone
to shrinking and swelling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's unlikely tiles will "buckle" however the underlayment is likely the
problem. Likely those tiles are not on concrete but something more prone
to shrinking and swelling.

I was wondering about that because of something I was just watching on
HGTV (I admit it). They were talking about the backerboard they were
going to us.

I think the only way to solve this is to pull them up to see what's
there. If we buy it, we'll do that anyway. Even in our house where
we live now we have painted concrete floors and I think that would be
ideal at a lake house.

Thanks, folks!

Brad

Posted to alt.home.repair

BradMM wrote:
It's unlikely tiles will "buckle" however the underlayment is likely the
problem. Likely those tiles are not on concrete but something more prone
to shrinking and swelling.

I was wondering about that because of something I was just watching on
HGTV (I admit it). They were talking about the backerboard they were
going to us.

I think the only way to solve this is to pull them up to see what's
there. If we buy it, we'll do that anyway. Even in our house where
we live now we have painted concrete floors and I think that would be
ideal at a lake house.

Thanks, folks!

Brad

Underlayment might swell, causing tile to shift. Tile obviously will
not buckle, it might crack. Photos might help, and if there is a major
problem with the slab, there likely would be cracks apparent at the
perimiter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 1:51*pm, BradMM wrote:
Looking at lakefront property that we know is in the flood plain. *The
small house was built in 1955 out of cinder blocks. *The realtor says
this happens every 4-5 years. *Most of value is in the lot but my
question is about the 12x12 ceramic tiles that are buckling. *Would
this likely be due to slab shrinking and swelling because of the
water?

Thanks,

Brad

If there are no signs of subsidence the most likely reason is a faulty
water resisting membrane under the slab. In a 50's house it may just
be a coat of tar within the concrete slab.,
Damp penetration will cause tiles to lift. The other thing is that
the tile adhesives were not as good in days of yore. In the latter
case they tend to come up in trafficed areas. (ie in doorways & the
like)
Damp penetration can be seasonal or rain dependent or water table
dependent. To tell if you've got it, tape a bit of polythene onto the
bare concrete floor. In a few days damp (if it's there) will show
under this.

Re-using ceramic tiles Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 12 January 13th 09 08:58 AM
Ceramic Tiles RML Home Repair 5 April 24th 07 07:48 AM
Ceramic tiles outside? jon UK diy 3 September 26th 06 11:39 AM
cork tiles onto ceramic tiles? Pete UK diy 1 April 29th 05 12:31 AM
Ceramic tiles Alec Powell UK diy 0 October 11th 03 12:36 PM