Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default Travertine Tile

since Travertine Tile is porous is the process for grouting any
different than a glazed tile?

thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2010 12:56 PM cj spake thus:

since Travertine Tile is porous is the process for grouting any
different than a glazed tile?

Nope. Just be sure to clean all the grout off the face of the tile
before it sets, since you won't be able to scrape it off after it sets
as you might with glazed tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 8:56*pm, cj wrote:
since Travertine Tile is porous is the process for grouting any
different than a glazed tile?

thanks, cj

I have some travertine tiles..............They may be a bad idea.
They are not porous, they are riddled with holes allegedly left by
vegetation incorporated when the stuff was formed by evaporation
millions of years ago. They cut up the rock and they then fill the
holes. If they do a good job then it's reasonably OK. A lot of the
marks you see on the tiles is this filler which can be coloured/
matching cementatious or resin filler. The tiles are then honed and
polished.
The problem arises when there is a void near the surface of the tile
which eventually breaks through when walked on. I have lots of these
and had to amuse myself repairing them as they appear. I use cement
and PVA admix. I've just about got it beat now I think after five
years.
My wife has a parrot who loves to search out these holes and enlarge
them. Love that bird!