Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Improvising a lawnmower gas cap

I've somehow lost the cap to the gas tank on my Sears Craftsman push
lawnmower. I found a container cap that fits, but if I use that on
the gas tank the mower quits soon after I start it.

I assume that I should bore a hole in the replacement cap to let some
air in, .but I'm not sure how big the hole should be. Should it be as
small as possible to avoid gas splashing out? Could it be too small?

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer, but should I eventually get a "real" gas tank cap to
replace my improvised one?

Thanks.

Lefty
Posted to alt.home.repair

NYLefty wrote:
I've somehow lost the cap to the gas tank on my Sears Craftsman push
lawnmower. I found a container cap that fits, but if I use that on
the gas tank the mower quits soon after I start it.

I assume that I should bore a hole in the replacement cap to let some
air in, .but I'm not sure how big the hole should be. Should it be as
small as possible to avoid gas splashing out? Could it be too small?

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer, but should I eventually get a "real" gas tank cap to
replace my improvised one?

Keep your eyes open for someont throwing away a mower and grap the cap? Or just
buy one at any hardware store?

You could drill a very small hole in the cap, and make a cap washer for it with
a tiny hole in that too. You could cut the washer out of a clorox jug or similar
plastic. That should eliminat any spillage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 11:48*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Keep your eyes open for someont throwing away a mower and grap the cap? Or just
buy one at any hardware store?

Are all lawnmower gas caps the same size? I was assuming that they're
different sizes and that I'd have to get a replacement from Sears --
or at least another lawnmower dealer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

NYLefty wrote:
On Jun 17, 11:48 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Keep your eyes open for someont throwing away a mower and grap the
cap? Or just buy one at any hardware store?

Are all lawnmower gas caps the same size? I was assuming that they're
different sizes and that I'd have to get a replacement from Sears --
or at least another lawnmower dealer.

I think there are a few very common caps, so they shouldn't be too hard to
duplicate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:41:05 -0700 (PDT), NYLefty
wrote:

I've somehow lost the cap to the gas tank on my Sears Craftsman push
lawnmower. I found a container cap that fits, but if I use that on
the gas tank the mower quits soon after I start it.

I assume that I should bore a hole in the replacement cap to let some
air in, .but I'm not sure how big the hole should be. Should it be as
small as possible to avoid gas splashing out? Could it be too small?

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer, but should I eventually get a "real" gas tank cap to
replace my improvised one?

Thanks.

Lefty

Very small is good enough. It's for air, which is even better than a
mouse at squeezing through small spaces. 1/16". myabe even smaller.
Or start very small and see if it works. If you still have the same
problem, make it a bit bigger. Maybe it won't splash out. Try it
and see. If it does, you can do what BobF says.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 3:13 am, mm wrote:

Very small is good enough. It's for air, which is even better than a
mouse at squeezing through small spaces. 1/16". myabe even smaller.
Or start very small and see if it works. If you still have the same
problem, make it a bit bigger. Maybe it won't splash out. Try it
and see. If it does, you can do what BobF says.

Andy adds:
Very good advice, in my opinion. Remember NY, you don't have
to get it perfect the first time, and "too small" doesn't hurt
anything........ It's not like you were drilling for oil in
the Gulp of Texaco :))))))

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

NYLefty wrote:
I've somehow lost the cap to the gas tank on my Sears Craftsman push
lawnmower. I found a container cap that fits, but if I use that on
the gas tank the mower quits soon after I start it.

I assume that I should bore a hole in the replacement cap to let some
air in, .but I'm not sure how big the hole should be. Should it be as
small as possible to avoid gas splashing out? Could it be too small?

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer, but should I eventually get a "real" gas tank cap
to replace my improvised one?

Find out who made the motor, and contact them (or one of their
representatives) for parts.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you're in good hands on this one- fix what you've got,
scrounge a cap or try a hardware store. . . .

NYLefty wrote:

-snip-

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer,

I'm in the burbs and within a 1/2 hour of a 1/2 dozen dealers-- but
I'd probably get a gas cap online. T'aint worth the time or effort
to get in the car and drive when I can order it before my afternoon
nap & often have it before lunch the next day. I've got enough
projects started that I just move to another until the parts come in.

but should I eventually get a "real" gas tank cap to
replace my improvised one?

If you've got some way to make some foam stay up there so your cap
isn't sucking dust, it should be ok. OTOH- a generic cap is only
a couple bucks. Not worth a whole lot of effort.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

NYLefty wrote:

I've somehow lost the cap to the gas tank on my Sears Craftsman push
lawnmower. I found a container cap that fits, but if I use that on
the gas tank the mower quits soon after I start it.

I assume that I should bore a hole in the replacement cap to let some
air in, .but I'm not sure how big the hole should be. Should it be as
small as possible to avoid gas splashing out? Could it be too small?

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer, but should I eventually get a "real" gas tank cap to
replace my improvised one?

Thanks.

Lefty

Just a hole will make it leak and splash out. You need an insert under
the cap also with a side hole (not in line with the cap hole) to prevent
splash out and let what splashes into the first hole to drain back in
the tank. A 1/16 or 1/32 hole is adaquate.
--

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either.
Signature file not found
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evaporating gasoline can be a fire hazard. If you found the correct
replacement cap on the internet you'd have it in just a few days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/10 8:55 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I think you're in good hands on this one- fix what you've got,
scrounge a cap or try a hardware store. . . .

wrote:

-snip-

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer,

I'm in the burbs and within a 1/2 hour of a 1/2 dozen dealers-- but
I'd probably get a gas cap online. T'aint worth the time or effort
to get in the car and drive when I can order it before my afternoon
nap& often have it before lunch the next day.

snip

Jim

....as long as you don't mind adding $20+ to your cost for priority
overnight shipping!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:37:50 -0400, Shaun wrote:

On 6/18/10 8:55 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I think you're in good hands on this one- fix what you've got,
scrounge a cap or try a hardware store. . . .

wrote:

-snip-

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer,

I'm in the burbs and within a 1/2 hour of a 1/2 dozen dealers-- but
I'd probably get a gas cap online. T'aint worth the time or effort
to get in the car and drive when I can order it before my afternoon
nap& often have it before lunch the next day.

snip

Jim

...as long as you don't mind adding $20+ to your cost for priority
overnight shipping!!

That's a suckers bet IMO. I've gotten 13 hour service from Amazon,
Newegg & McMaster Carr on many occasions. Order at 10pm- arrived UPS
at 11AM. 24-48 is the norm. And I never pay for fast shipping.
[Amazon is free if the order is over $25- and I usually have something
in the cart to bring it up to that-- often Newegg is free, and
McMaster is reasonable- usually $4-5 for a box of bolts]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 12:48*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:37:50 -0400, Shaun wrote:
On 6/18/10 8:55 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I think you're in good hands on this one- fix what you've got,
scrounge a cap or try a hardware store. . . .

*wrote:

-snip-

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Newegg sells lawnmower gas caps?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've gotten 13 hour service from Amazon,
Newegg & McMaster Carr on many occasions. Order at 10pm- arrived UPS
at 11AM. 24-48 is the norm. And I never pay for fast shipping.
[Amazon is free if the order is over $25- and I usually have something
in the cart to bring it up to that-- often Newegg is free, and
McMaster is reasonable- usually $4-5 for a box of bolts]

Yep, everything I buy from McMaster comes in the next morning. There are
also a few companies that offer expedited shipping for an extra charge.
I always choose ground, and they always upgrade to UPS second day air at
their own expense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 9:41*pm, NYLefty wrote:
I've somehow lost the cap to the gas tank on my Sears Craftsman push
lawnmower.

Just stuff an old t-shirt into the hole and let it dangle over the
side. When the t-shirt is good and soaked with gas, light up a smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Variety of different sizes. I'd try punching a hole with a hammer and
small nail, probably end up with a smaller hole than a twist drill.

Yes, size matters. For lawn mowers, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"NYLefty" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 11:48 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Keep your eyes open for someont throwing away a mower and grap the
cap? Or just
buy one at any hardware store?

Are all lawnmower gas caps the same size? I was assuming that they're
different sizes and that I'd have to get a replacement from Sears --
or at least another lawnmower dealer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 10:37*am, Shaun wrote:
On 6/18/10 8:55 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I think you're in good hands on this one- fix what you've got,
scrounge a cap or try a hardware store. . . .

I went into the nearest small town today and was surprised to find a
cap that fits at the hardware store there.....thanks to those who
suggested doing this. I'd been thinking that there wouldn't be much
of a demand for such caps and that I've have to get one from Sears or
a lawnmower dealer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NYLefty wrote:

On Jun 18, 10:37*am, Shaun wrote:
On 6/18/10 8:55 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I think you're in good hands on this one- fix what you've got,
scrounge a cap or try a hardware store. . . .

I went into the nearest small town today and was surprised to find a
cap that fits at the hardware store there.....thanks to those who
suggested doing this. I'd been thinking that there wouldn't be much
of a demand for such caps and that I've have to get one from Sears or
a lawnmower dealer.

I always find it heartening, when I do something silly like lose a gas
cap, that I'm not only *not* the first person to do this--- there have
been enough folks down this path before to make it profitable for
someone to carry replacements.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Variety of different sizes. I'd try punching a hole with a hammer and
small nail, probably end up with a smaller hole than a twist drill.

Yer normal set of drills goes down to #60, which is 0.040." That should
be small enough without resorting to nails or breaking out the 61-80
drill index.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:09:32 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

there have been enough folks down this path before to make
it profitable for someone to carry replacements.g

My Craftsman 917.388853 6.5 HP 21" push mower (Consumer Reports Best Buy in
2005) came with this "fancy" gas cap that supposedly "preserved the gas".

After a couple of seasons, the fancy gas-preserving cap couldn't preserve
itself, and it broke into pieces. I just put a gas-can cap on. It fit. But
the engine kept quitting after a while. So I loosened it up when I was
cutting the lawn.

I'm curious WHAT is the difference between a gas-can cap and a lawn mower
gasoline tank cap? (The threads are the same.)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

After a couple of seasons, the fancy gas-preserving cap couldn't preserve
itself, and it broke into pieces. I just put a gas-can cap on. It fit. But
the engine kept quitting after a while. So I loosened it up when I was
cutting the lawn.

I'm curious WHAT is the difference between a gas-can cap and a lawn mower
gasoline tank cap? (The threads are the same.)

gas can caps are non vented designed to seal and not let vapors in or
out........

mower caps are vented so as gasoline is used air can enter the tank,
otherwise the engine will quit after awhile stareved for fuel.

how do i know this? many many years ago my mowers vent cap
malfunctioned and quit venting.

engine would run for awhile then quit. i would check gasoline level
put back cap mower would run again for awhile then quit.....

what the heck? thats when i learned about gasoline cap venting
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 1:38:27 AM UTC-4, James H. wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:09:32 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

there have been enough folks down this path before to make
it profitable for someone to carry replacements.g

My Craftsman 917.388853 6.5 HP 21" push mower (Consumer Reports Best Buy in
2005) came with this "fancy" gas cap that supposedly "preserved the gas".

After a couple of seasons, the fancy gas-preserving cap couldn't preserve
itself, and it broke into pieces. I just put a gas-can cap on. It fit. But
the engine kept quitting after a while. So I loosened it up when I was
cutting the lawn.

I'm curious WHAT is the difference between a gas-can cap and a lawn mower
gasoline tank cap? (The threads are the same.)

Gas caps *should* provide a complete seal. Mowers, particularly the modern carb compliant ones, as well as other small equipment, have a cap that has a negative pressure valve in the top.

This means that as the pump draws fuel it creates a vacuum in the tank that opens that valve to let air in, but the valve closes so no gas fumes escape when there is no suction, when the engine isn't running - till it wears out, then you will see the rubber falling apart and smell gas fumes if it's left sitting in a non-ventilated area. In other cases it just gums up and plastic parts stick shut or open and it can be cleaned out, but usually there's some rubber that went bad unless your gas was terribly dirty.

You could certainly make a TINY hole in a gas can cap, plug that hole while it's not running and unplug the hole while it is, though you might still end up with a little gas splashing out when the tank is full.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 5:52:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

many gasoline can caps and engine caps are identical except for the vent.

i lost my gasoline engine cap and needed to get the grass cut, so i removed the gas can washer and left the lid a tiny bit loose.

its a good emergency patch
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
how do i know this? many many years ago my mowers vent cap
malfunctioned and quit venting.

engine would run for awhile then quit. i would check gasoline level
put back cap mower would run again for awhile then quit.....

what the heck? thats when i learned about gasoline cap venting

many gasoline can caps and engine caps are identical except for the vent.

i lost my gasoline engine cap and needed to get the grass cut, so i
removed the gas can washer and left the lid a tiny bit loose.

its a good emergency patch

Fellow at work had a mower that would run for a short time and quit. Told
him to checkthe vent hole.
Next day he admitted he had mixed up the gas can and the engines gas caps.

Improvising... Jerry Home Repair 3 July 7th 09 04:52 AM
which lawnmower? dkhedmo Home Repair 14 September 30th 06 12:38 PM
747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 14th 06 06:22 PM
Improvising handset beep? Terry Pinnell Electronics Repair 34 July 13th 06 02:09 AM