Posted to alt.home.repair
LSMFT LSMFT is offline

Default Improvising a lawnmower gas cap

NYLefty wrote:

I've somehow lost the cap to the gas tank on my Sears Craftsman push
lawnmower. I found a container cap that fits, but if I use that on
the gas tank the mower quits soon after I start it.

I assume that I should bore a hole in the replacement cap to let some
air in, .but I'm not sure how big the hole should be. Should it be as
small as possible to avoid gas splashing out? Could it be too small?

And I'm out in the country and weeks go by before I'm anywhere near a
lawnmower dealer, but should I eventually get a "real" gas tank cap to
replace my improvised one?

Thanks.

Lefty

Just a hole will make it leak and splash out. You need an insert under
the cap also with a side hole (not in line with the cap hole) to prevent
splash out and let what splashes into the first hole to drain back in
the tank. A 1/16 or 1/32 hole is adaquate.
--

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either.
Signature file not found