Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Where can I get an old style non CARB 5-gal gasoline can?

AMuzi wrote:

Seems like a great business opportunity - sell just the old style nozzle. They
can't tap you for selling an unapproved container. Don't even reference gas -
call it water or just liquid.

Businesses who want to wrestle in the mud with Carol Browner
sign up now. Death match too; she has the IRS on her side.
Good luck.

True... Best to put a big disclaimer on the ad - "Not To Be Used for Gas
Containers". That should surely solve the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

aemeijers wrote in
:

Steve W. wrote:
Brent wrote:

If you do that, don't forget to hit the tops with a spray can of red
paint before you fill them the first time, lest some busybody at the
gas station get on you for using the wrong can.

Yeah, the same kid that asked what I needed oil for when I was looking
for it. He didn't know lawnmowers use 10w30.

(When did red become 'required', anyway? Back in stone age, we had
several pretty navy blue Belknap 5-gallon cans, with a seperate tiny
lid for venting. No keeper chains, though, so you always had to be
careful where you set it down.)

It's so they can sell more gas due to the can heating up and forcing the
gas out the spout when someone forgets to a) take the pour tube out and or
b) leaves the vent hole closed.

I have a yellow one that I've had for years and use for waste fluids.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Robert Neville wrote in
:

Red wrote:

AFAIK, they're required by the EPA everywhere in the USA. Along with
a fine of $150 per each non-compliant can sold by any retailer.
That's why you can't find the non-compliant ones anymore. FWIW, EPA
does not regulate the nozzle design, just the specs it must meet.
Therefore, the crappy ones we're seeing could be made much better if
the manufacturers get enough complaints.
Google EPA and portable fuel containers.

Seems like a great business opportunity - sell just the old style
nozzle.

That's what we have up here in Canada. I'm seeing California-approved 1.5
gallon gas cans with what /must/ be CARB-approved nozzles. I say "must"
because of how extraordinarily difficult it is to manipulate them so that
they will actually dispense gasoline.

And right next to them on the shelf are the old-style corrugated yellow
nozzles for about $4 each. They're a perfect fit in place of the difficult
nozzles. Alongside are sold the little caps you use to seal off the cap
when the nozzle is inverted for storage.

Actually, the yellow nozzles aren't precisely the old-style, as they now
incorporate a small vent tube immediately above the delivery tube. The vent
tube would be necessary on account of the fact that the can itself has no
vent hole at its rear.

The brand-name on all of the above is "Scepter".

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In article ,
Tegger wrote:

And right next to them on the shelf are the old-style corrugated yellow
nozzles for about $4 each.

From the sound of things here, I'd say you could be buying those things
by the hundreds and selling them on ebay for a tidy profit. Not for use
with gasoline, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 6/12/2010 1:17 AM, Brent wrote:
Where can I get an old style non CARB compliant 5-gal gasoline can?

I pine for the days when 5-gallong gas jugs had a pour spout and a vent.
All the gasoline cans I can find in the stores are something called "CARB
compliant". They are miserable abominations.

I've never spilled so much gasoline in my life!

One model has an on/off lever, but you have to use two hands at all times,
one to hold the can, the other to keep pressed down on the lever, and the
third hand to hold the funnel. The moment you let up on the lever, the
handle locks shut, necessitating a manual reset.

The other type has only a push-to-open tab which you supposedly press
against the lip of the tool you're filling. Forget using funnels with this
method. And, since the spout fills the opening of the tool you're filling,
you can't see when it's full until you spill it all over the outside of the
tool.

There must be somewhere I can get the old-style gas cans.
What is the reason for these CARB abominations anyway?

Any idea where to get the old style 5-gallon gas cans?

consignment and farm auctions

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Smitty Two wrote in news
In article ,
Tegger wrote:

And right next to them on the shelf are the old-style corrugated yellow
nozzles for about $4 each.

From the sound of things here, I'd say you could be buying those things
by the hundreds and selling them on ebay for a tidy profit. Not for use
with gasoline, of course.

Somebody's already doing that!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Scepter-JERRY-GAS-CAN-SPOUT-3629-08562-yellow-parts-NEW_W0QQitemZ350362348284QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq2010 0604?IMSfp=TL100604149001r11165

The product and package shown is the very same one I see for
$4 (full-retail) pretty much everywhere up here.

Go to it, guys!

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 06:17:36 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

Any idea where to get the old style 5-gallon gas cans?

Looks like nobody can sell 5-gallon non CARB gasoline jerry jugs anymo
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/Fin...43/FF43Web.pdf

But, get this, if the can is SIX gallons, it's exempt from the onerous
regulations!

So the question isn't where can we get non-CARB gasoline cans ... but where
can we get decent six-gallon gasoline cans!

Carb jet? Jim Wilkins Metalworking 29 May 6th 10 01:27 AM
Carb Adjustments ? Patch Home Repair 5 June 1st 05 11:08 PM
Tecumseh carb 5 hp Craftsman [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 25th 05 04:00 PM
OT forklift carb identity Backlash Metalworking 3 August 9th 04 06:09 AM