Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Fix/Repair Rock Salt Burned Yellow Lawn!?

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Hello All,

This question I am asking is not a problem that I have, but a problem
that I am trying to help someone with. I have an eldery 85 year old
neighbor, that I am trying to help out.

Here is the problem. Last year he says he spent $4,000 to have all brand
new "Kentucky Bluegrass" sod installed on his front yard.

In the winter, the neighbors next to him dumped piles of rock salt/ice
melter all over their driveway everytime there was a snowstorm, and when
they shoveled their driveway, and threw the snow up onto the edge of his
yard, all the rock salt landed on his grass, and now he has BIG Yellow
patches of grass, all on the side of his yard.

I feel really bad for the eldery gentleman, who lives alone, and never
has anyone to come over to help him out, and I want to try to help him
fix it. HE doesn't think that it can be fixed, because the rock salt/ice
melt is now mixed in with the soil.

What about adding some topsoil as a "topdressing", and then new seed? I
have a bag of "Organic Topsoil", I could give him?
Would that "Scotts Patchmaster" stuff work? Or that new "Scotts EZ Seed"
I keep seeing commercials for?

I also have a bag of "Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss". Should I try
spreading some "Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss" on it for him??

What would be the best way to neutralize the soil of all the rock salt,
and revive the lawn, to turn the Yellow spots Green again?

It's not easy and surely no quick way to get the salt out of the lawn.
His best bet is to dig out all the dead areas, fill it with topsoil and
reseed. No shortcuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth