Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

Default Nice dehumidifier...

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small pints. *with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I thought.

HD had units, but all over $200 (my GE's cost $139), so I went to the Costco
upstairs, and they had DeLonghi's, a company I'm not crazy about,
reliability-wise.

But, holy smokes, ahm emptying this "40 pint" bucket like crazy!!
So finally, I pretty much had no choice but to fiddle with the pump ditty,
and gollygee, it really works! 13' head, they claim.

This thing takes out so much moisture, I can't even use it to "top off" the
reservoirs on my machines (fadal, kalamazoo auto saw), cuz they'll FLOOD!!!
Holy ****....

Maybe if I used the fadal for hours on end, in production, it would be ok,
but in prototyping, this unit will just overflow the machine reservoirs.
I can't even fill up buckets, cuz the shop would be nothing but 5 gal pails!
So I hook the hose to the sink.

It's got an inneresting LED readout, that sposedly reads humidity, but seems
to read high. Has antifrost+indication, timer, etc.

It's got a powerful blower, really puts out air, much much more than my
other units, which I think just use a regular fan blade... The difference
is like a factor of 10, no hyperbole!

It's not super quiet with this blower, but it's not overly noisy, either.
It's two speed, but it's so powerful, they really could have greatly lowered
the rpm, for a super-quiet but still effective mode.
If quiet is a concern, mebbe a dropping resistor or high-watt potentiometer
or small transformer would give you the best of all worlds.

I think part of the effectiveness of this unit is in fact due to this
blower, as it blows upward with some force, certainly mixing/circulating the
air MUCH better than my other units.

So, so far, I'm pretty impressed. It's also got a gravity drain, if you
don't need to pump up a height, and don't want to empty buckets. Oh, also
nice is that the pump hose is a "quick connect", like shop air.

I subsequently went out price shopping a little more, and Fridigaire units
(larger cap, cheaper) did not have this pump feature, nor did any of HD's
units.

It's also got a 2 year parts/labor warrantee, for Costco-ers.

God willing, it will prove more reliable than the GE's. It's certainly much
better finished, better visual appeal.

Later, if I remember, I'll amp-probe the unit and compare it with my others.
But, regardless, if you really need to pull out moisture with a footprint no
larger than other "40 pinters", this unit fills the bill, and that pump
really proves to be useful.

You can find it cheaper online, but the shipping more than wipes out the
savings.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:50:50 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small pints. *with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I thought.

[...]

De humidifyer?

Gads son...we live in the desert, where we are lucky to get 15% humidity
on a summer day. In fact..we use evaporative coolers to pump water
through big pads and have a big ol fan blow it into the house/shop

Gunner

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

wrote:

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small pints. *with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I thought.

[...]

Hmm,
Same here. In winter our indoor R.H. could be in the negative side.
We live with humidifier. What the heck s dehumidifier?, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:12:43 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

De humidifyer?

Gads son...we live in the desert, where we are lucky to get 15% humidity
on a summer day. In fact..we use evaporative coolers to pump water
through big pads and have a big ol fan blow it into the house/shop

Gunner

AKA - "Swamp Cooler"

My portable unit for the garage needs a new pump, at the moment.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small pints. *with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I thought.

[...]

The online reviews of those were horrifying, I just bought a cheap
dehumidifier from the big box and a condensate pump, that way whenever
one part dies I'm not out another $200...

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small pints.
*with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I
thought.

[...]

Where did you find the reviews? What was the gist?
If this DeLonghi just lasts a while, I'll be a happy camper.

How much was your condensate pump, and where did you get it?
--
EA

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

"Nate wrote in message
Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small pints.
*with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I
thought.

[...]

I started with Amazon and went from there... don't remember all the
places I looked. Actually reviews of all dehumidifiers was pretty
bleak, but the DeLonghi was worse than usual, and also more expensive...

How much was your condensate pump, and where did you get it?

I think it was $40 or $50, and I bought that from Amazon, as all my
local stores wanted significantly more than that.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

wrote:

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small
pints. *with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I
thought.

[...]

How about we build ourselves an air pipeline? One line each direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

On Sun, 30 May 2010 00:40:15 -0400, Tony wrote:

wrote:

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small
pints. *with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I
thought.

[...]

Reckon we can bid on some rain too? We get 4" a year here. It would be
nice to have a bit more. How much for say..4" at random times over a 3
square mile area from June to September? But only AFTER midnight and
before 8 am.

If it were before midnight..it might rain..but it might not hit the
ground. It gets below 110F usually after 9pm during the summer months.

Gunner

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 00:40:15 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small
pints. *with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I
thought.

[...]

Hi,
To make you feel better, over the week end we had WET snow. Now at 2310
hours, ouside temp. is at 32deg. F. I am waiting for warm weather to
ransplant flowers/veges.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

wrote:

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small
pints. *with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I
thought.

[...]

Sigh...sounds nice.

It hit 85 today.

Course its a dry heat...a warmup for summer

Gunner

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

On May 29, 12:50*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small pints. **with
a pump feature*!
From Costco, $197. *delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I thought.

[...]

You could use an amp meter to measure and compare efficency if its on
continous running but ive used a kill a watt meter since mine cycle. I
bought and returned a HD Haier unit since its output was about half of
other units I have, I didnt find an energy star rating on the Haier
unit so maybe that explains its poor performance. Consumer Reports has
an updated rating on the efficency of units and they do differ, if you
raised the unit the pump would consume less power, no pumping it the
most efficent way to run it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

In article ,
Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

It's got a powerful blower, really puts out air, much much more than my
other units, which I think just use a regular fan blade... The difference
is like a factor of 10, no hyperbole!

It's not super quiet with this blower, but it's not overly noisy, either.
It's two speed, but it's so powerful, they really could have greatly lowered
the rpm, for a super-quiet but still effective mode.
If quiet is a concern, mebbe a dropping resistor or high-watt potentiometer
or small transformer would give you the best of all worlds.

I think part of the effectiveness of this unit is in fact due to this
blower, as it blows upward with some force, certainly mixing/circulating the
air MUCH better than my other units.

My practice with both dehumidifier and A/C is to place a separate fan
in front of it.

Not much noise, because being external it's not blasting the air
through the louvers.

And of course you can point it wherever you want.

(For the a/c, one fan in front of the a/c, one at the other
end of the room pointing back, its air hitting the wall
at an angle, thus getting nice circulation, every corner
getting some of the air.)

The external fan -- makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE!

David

Nice dehumidifier... Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 7 May 30th 10 06:41 PM
Dehumidifier. terry Home Repair 4 October 23rd 07 04:28 PM
Would this dehumidifier be OK ? sm_jamieson UK diy 13 September 12th 06 02:00 PM
Dehumidifier Home Repair 2 August 24th 03 02:04 AM
Dehumidifier donald girod Home Repair 0 July 10th 03 01:35 PM