Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preferred size for a walk-in closet?

On May 18, 7:48*pm, "h" wrote:
We're going to be putting a second story over our existing living, which
will become our master bedroom. The new space will be a perfect rectangle,
23'x18'. This space is for the bedroom and closet. We're going to put in a
walk-in closet, but are debating how big it needs to be. In our current
bedroom we have a walk-in that's 8'x10', and it's much more space than we
need. We keep suitcases and sports gear in there and it's nowhere near
full.We are both VERY low-maintenance, and DH actually has more hanging
clothing than I do.

I'm planning a closet with a center door, two hanging racks (one down each
side), with some shelving above the racks and floor-to-ceiling
shelves/storage on the far wall across from the door between the racks.

The architect is telling me that a walk-in "should" be "at least" 10'x12' or
we "won't be able to sell the house". Since we plan to be carried out of
here feet first, we couldn't care less about resale. Plus, I refuse to
design new construction solely for "perceived" resale value when I plan to
live here for at least 35 more years.

I don't care what the architect says, I neither want nor need a closet that
big especially since we will still have the current master closet for
storage when that room becomes the guest room, plus the tiny closets in the
other two bedrooms (office and exercise room).

So...those of you with walk-in closets - how big are they and do you wish
your closet was bigger or smaller?

We are just now finishing a house and we did most of the finish work.
We too have two bedrooms on the main floor including a good sized
master bedroom (15 x 17.5). Our walk-in has its own door which
parallels the bath and it is 10' deep by 6-1/2' wide with the door in
the end. We built two tall shoe and sweater shelving units that are
about 20" wide that also serve as one end attachment for single or two
level hanging rods. Above the hanging rods are shelve that are at
"tipy-toe height (or step stool). There is also a separate partition
in the middle on one side that allowed us to convert from double level
rods to single level dress rod. We are completely satisfied and we
have had good comments from others about its utility.

As a side-note the second bedroom has a fairly good size closet with
standard bi-folds. It shares a wall with the hallway leading to the
bedroom so it is about 4' deep and 7' wide. It is a little larger
than many second bedroom closets but provides good storage for our
"empty-nester" stuff. We configured the inside with shelving that is
great for a bedroom, but it could also he easily converted to a sewing
nook if my wife ever wants to move the sewing center upstairs.

RonB