Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stranded roof/gutter ideas?

I am rebuilding an above garage master at my home. Two gable dormers
at the front, and original plan was to run eyebrow and gutter all the
way across to take care of drainage with down pipe at far corner.
Long story short, have had to raise side wall height to accommodate
less steep rafter pitch and will not have sufficient room for eyebrows
(unless I wanted the windows above eye level). So now I have a space
between the two dormers that is "stranded". I can't run guttering
straight down from it as there is only around 8 inches of space
between garage doors that is occupied by lights I don't want to lose.
And running gutter horizonatally over to the left or right corner of
the property would be very ugly I think. I really want to come up
with a way to deal with it, because without any drainage (as it is
today with all gutters removed ready for demo) water splashes onto
garage doors, into garage and is rotting posts supporting the walls.

Has anyone ever seen a way to deal with this? I can't think of
anything, but if anyone can, this group can.

TIA, Cubby.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

cubby wrote:

Has anyone ever seen a way to deal with this? I can't think of
anything, but if anyone can, this group can.

Need pictures...post link when have some on a hosting site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote:
[...]

Run the downspout INSIDE the wall, exiting at the driveway. Downspouts
inside building facades are quite common on commercial buildings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2010 10:31 AM HeyBub spake thus:

cubby wrote:

[...] I can't run guttering straight down from it as there is only
around 8 inches of space between garage doors that is occupied by
lights I don't want to lose. And running gutter horizonatally over
to the left or right corner of the property would be very ugly I
think. I really want to come up with a way to deal with it, because
without any drainage (as it is today with all gutters removed ready
for demo) water splashes onto garage doors, into garage and is
rotting posts supporting the walls.

Has anyone ever seen a way to deal with this? I can't think of
anything, but if anyone can, this group can.

Run the downspout INSIDE the wall, exiting at the driveway. Downspouts
inside building facades are quite common on commercial buildings.

Provided, of course, that you're extra-careful with the downspout: don't
use cheap stuff, secure and seal the connections. You damn sure don't
want a leaking drainpipe inside a wall. (If the garage isn't finished,
it'll be a lot easier as it'll be exposed.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

cubby wrote:

[...]

Not to mention most commercial buildings the roof system is inside the
facade rather than making another roof penetration that this would
(afaict) require.

I'm not likin' the idea much; at least w/o seeing the setup...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
cubby wrote:
[...]

I know of a 2 1/2 story brick house with slate roof with the downspouts
built in the wall. Probably close to 100 years old.

The owner had a new roof put on and went to the expense to rebuild the
downspouts inside the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote:

[...]

Well, yeah, but I've never seen or heard of a leaking downspout.

I guess it could happen...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:

Well, yeah, but I've never seen or heard of a leaking downspout.

Must have led sheltered life... ( )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 11:46*am, cubby wrote:
[...]

The inside the wall downspout doesn't seem very attractive as a
solution to me. I suggest you alter your light placement to
accomidate a normal downspout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Well, yeah, but I've never seen or heard of a leaking downspout.

Must have led sheltered life... ( )

In a desert.

Roof gutter issue Master Betty[_2_] Home Repair 2 November 1st 09 10:14 PM
flat roof gutter croxley UK diy 7 August 22nd 07 08:51 AM
Roof and Gutter sealant ARWadsworth UK diy 7 July 12th 07 09:35 AM
Roof gutter recommendations please 46erjoe Home Repair 3 August 8th 06 01:23 PM