Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old well

An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it. Which is better? They sell round
concrete lids. Either way I'm getting rid of this lawn obstacle.

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 9:04�am, LSMFT wrote:
An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it. Which is better? They sell round
concrete lids. Either way I'm getting rid of this lawn obstacle.

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........

you could still use the well for watering the lawn.

FILL IT IN!! FILL IT IN PROPERLY!!

Because any sort of cap could collapse some day! this has happened
around here, people have fallen thru the cap and died, from drownding,
the fall or hypothermia and being unable to get out.

dont fill with rocks and dirt, they settle a lot, and again become a
hazard.

far better to fill with gravel, then let it sit a year or two add a
cap, and cover with dirt and grass
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it. Which is better? They sell round
concrete lids. Either way I'm getting rid of this lawn obstacle.

Depends on the well. If it's large diameter and not very deep, they may
allow filling it with sand then capping it off. If possible you can
first break/cut/remove the upper foot or so and drop that stuff inside
then fill with sand and cap. Then you can add soil and plant grass
without making a mound. If it's sunny there, don't plan on any less
than 12" of soil to keep the grass alive.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

LSMFT wrote:
An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it. Which is better? They sell round
concrete lids. Either way I'm getting rid of this lawn obstacle.

Check w/ local reg's -- many areas have specific rules/reqm'ts and often
there are assistance programs for closing abandoned wells (particularly
in rural/formerly rural areas).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"LSMFT" wrote in message
An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping, burying
it and planting grass over it. Which is better? They sell round concrete
lids. Either way I'm getting rid of this lawn obstacle.

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........

Yeah capping it off is dangerous down the road as the caps will fail in
50 or so years and kill somebody long after your gone.... I had to get a new
well drilled and I had the new trailings put in the old well to fill it
right up as the new well was being drilled....it sunk down for a few years
so threw a few more wheel barrow loads full of top soil as it settled down,
but after two years you can't tell where it had been....
DONT FREAKING DO WHAT MY BROTHER IN LAW DID!!! he had an old
well on the farm and filled it in with fieldstone...worst infestation of
snakes I have ever seen!!! So whatever you fill it with make sure it's not
porous!... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 10:11�am, dpb wrote:

�Because any sort of cap could collapse some day! this has happened
around here, people have fallen thru the cap and died, from drownding,
the fall or hypothermia and being unable to get out.

I knew it!!!! �haller's got a neighbor that happened to as well.... �

--

It happened somewhere south of pittsburgh, no one knew the well was
there someone doing yard work fell 90 feet or so, and got badly hurt,

it made pittsburgh news........
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 8, 8:04*am, LSMFT wrote:
An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it.

Snip

Our state mandates sand fill and a clay cap. Topsoil and turf is
optional. Sand compacts by far the most rapidly. There is almost never
any settling if done right.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 11:27�pm, Joe wrote:
On May 8, 8:04�am, LSMFT wrote:

An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it.
Snip

Our state mandates sand fill and a clay cap. Topsoil and turf is
optional. Sand compacts by far the most rapidly. There is almost never
any settling if done right.

Joe

A now dead realtive had a outhouse floor colapse and they fell in.
Sadly I am the last living realtive that heard about that
Posted to alt.home.repair

if the well is just a 4 inch hole just fill with dirt since no one can
ever fall in, even a kid.

but if its a old hand dug well, fill in properly with sand or gravel
so it can never collapse

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
On May 8, 11:27?pm, Joe wrote:
On May 8, 8:04?am, LSMFT wrote:

An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it.
Snip

Our state mandates sand fill and a clay cap. Topsoil and turf is
optional. Sand compacts by far the most rapidly. There is almost never
any settling if done right.

Joe

A now dead realtive had a outhouse floor colapse and they fell in.
Sadly I am the last living realtive that heard about that

That remark is right up there with picking your nose and your head caves
in......please...PLEASE give dates and location of this said relative that
fell through the ****house floor to prove this story....Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

wrote in message
On May 8, 11:27?pm, Joe wrote:
On May 8, 8:04?am, LSMFT wrote:

An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it.
Snip

Our state mandates sand fill and a clay cap. Topsoil and turf is
optional. Sand compacts by far the most rapidly. There is almost never
any settling if done right.

Joe

A now dead realtive had a outhouse floor colapse and they fell in.
Sadly I am the last living realtive that heard about that

That remark is right up there with picking your nose and your head caves
in......please...PLEASE give dates and location of this said relative that
fell through the ****house floor to prove this story....Jim

Well, he didn't say that the relative's demise was due to the outhouse
incident. I don't doubt that someone somewhere, at some time, fell
through a rotten outhouse floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 4:30�am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

�"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
wrote in message
On May 8, 11:27?pm, Joe wrote:
On May 8, 8:04?am, LSMFT wrote:

[...]

through a rotten outhouse floor.- Hide quoted text -

yeah ruth died many years later of a heart attack.

the outhouse floor was just a funny family story
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 May 2010 09:04:46 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

An old well on my property is useless because they put the septic leach
field right next to it. So I thought of filling it in or capping,
burying it and planting grass over it. Which is better? They sell round
concrete lids. Either way I'm getting rid of this lawn obstacle.

A bigger concern is bacteria from the leach field getting tino the
well or gravel pack and contaminating the water table aquifer and
deeper aquifers. If you have other nearby wells used for potable
water, that'd be a HUGE risk. Have it plugged and abandoned by a
professional. That's my $0.02 worth.

-Zz