Posted to alt.home.repair

Default travertine flooring

We've had slate or marble tile in entryways and front foyers
before, but I'm not that familiar with Travertine flooring.
Because of a health problem, carpet no longer works for us, and
neither does a 2-story house. The home we've made an offer on has
Travertine flooring in virtually all of the house, with the
exception of the master bedroom. There, it has carpet. To make a
clean sweep of itmild pun intended, I plan to have the carpet
removed and replaced with matching Travertine as well.

I know Travertine is not recommended in areas where acids can etch
it, such as kitchens and bathrooms. That's a moot point for us,
since the whole house has Travertine flooring with the exception
of the master BR and the media room. However, we plan to seal all
the Travertine again before moving in, which should at least
prevent staining. I suspect it was originally sealed, since it
looks to be in great shape for its 5 year age. Now, for some
questions that I have.

1) The MBR Travertine would be going in on a concrete post
tension slab on grade: as is the balance of the house. Should I
have a paper slip installed between the Travertine and the
concrete? I do not know if the rest of the house has it or not.
2) Would it be wise to have the Travertine's nicks refilled and
have it buffed?
3) If buffed, what level of shine is considered practical? Is a
matte finish preferred or glossy?
4) Obviously, we'd seal the new Travertine in the MBR soon after
installation, but should we do the whole house?
5) When the inevitable etched spot happens, what can be done?
6) How do you maintain Travertine beyond a damp mopping or
dusting?
7) Has anyone used the Roomba Scooba for this?

--
Nonny
On most days,

Travertine: what is it, and how good is it? [email protected] UK diy 12 July 3rd 06 09:37 AM
Travertine Installation assistance Rick Bass Home Repair 2 October 24th 05 01:56 PM
Travertine holes SteveB Home Repair 5 August 13th 05 10:12 PM
Travertine Question SteveB Home Repair 3 June 10th 05 07:19 AM
Cork flooring (was Travertine tile for floor?) LD Home Ownership 3 February 9th 04 12:13 AM