SteveB

Default Travertine holes

My travertine is about a year old. Several little bubbles have broken
through, and now I have some 1/4 to 1/2 wide holes. What do I fill these
with to get a flush floor?

Steve

RicodJour

SteveB wrote:
My travertine is about a year old. Several little bubbles have broken
through, and now I have some 1/4 to 1/2 wide holes. What do I fill these
with to get a flush floor?

Clear epoxy either tinted to match or mixed with some crushed
travertine.

G Henslee

SteveB wrote:
My travertine is about a year old. Several little bubbles have broken
through, and now I have some 1/4 to 1/2 wide holes. What do I fill these
with to get a flush floor?

Steve

If Traverfill is not available in your area, use grout. Either
unsanded or sanded. I use unsanded.
RicodJour

G Henslee wrote:
SteveB wrote:
My travertine is about a year old. Several little bubbles have broken
through, and now I have some 1/4 to 1/2 wide holes. What do I fill these
with to get a flush floor?

If Traverfill is not available in your area, use grout. Either
unsanded or sanded. I use unsanded.

I'd never run across the Traverfill name before. Sounds interesting -
where do you get yours?

I stumbled across this post in the findstone.com forum:
Q 8329: what filler should I use for holes in travertine floors.
TRAVERFILL, PORTLAND CEMENT, AKiMI
Unsanded Tile grout. I am told that to get a polished finish I have to
use Akimi or Akemi (sp) so not sure what to do, Some of the holes are
size of a quarter. dan, Reply
R1: Dear Dan: I love it when people dispense free advice such as using
epoxy filler (Akemi is only the brand of epoxy filler. There are other
brands available) because it can be polished! The reason why I "love
it" is because the use of such a product is better left to some
highly trained professional. To polish the filler one should apply it
into the hole leaving it "mounding", let it cure for at least 24
hours, and then grind it flush to the stone surface, hone and polish.
Without meaning any offense, you probably don't even know what I am
talking about!
Travefill would be good, but it's hard to get and only comes in 25
Lbs. bags. Portlan cement would be good too, but you should try to
match the color, not to mention that, once again, you would have to
grind if flush to the surface of the stone after proper curing. Same
thing applies to unsanded grout.
So what, then?! :? How about color matching caulk? I love it!
Just squeeze it in the hole, push it further in by using a slightly wet
flexible putty knife, and then, when it begins to harden a little bit,
cut if flush with the surface of the stone using a brand-new razor
blade. Clean around the hole with a wet rag minding not to touch the
filler, and you're done! Maurizio, Expert Panelist

Richard J Kinch

SteveB writes:

What do I fill these
with to get a flush floor?

If you saved any scraps, you can grind up your own aggregate from it and
make a matching grout with portlant cement or epoxy. Travertine is very
soft stone.

G Henslee

RicodJour wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

SteveB wrote:

My travertine is about a year old. Several little bubbles have broken
through, and now I have some 1/4 to 1/2 wide holes. What do I fill these
with to get a flush floor?

If Traverfill is not available in your area, use grout. Either
unsanded or sanded. I use unsanded.

I'd never run across the Traverfill name before. Sounds interesting -
where do you get yours?

It's not available here. I've used unsanded grout.

Accurate Holes in Concrete? (Slightly Bogus Metal Content) Doug White Metalworking 12 August 28th 04 07:20 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 08:10 PM
Foundation holes Mat and Suzy Home Repair 4 September 9th 03 12:48 AM
Foundation holes jim Home Repair 0 August 14th 03 05:10 PM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 08:18 PM