Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are these guys any good?

Tater Gum Fries wrote:
Need to have some landscaping done, particularly hardscape work and some
concrete projects.

Down at the HD & Lowes, there's a lot of Mexicans in the mornings. I see
pickup trucks pull in there, and tell em to jump in the back.

Just wondering if it's a viable option, considering you have no idea if
you're getting a murderer or what.

We had work done on our seawall several years ago by a reputable
contractor. Hubby was the building manager, so the two of us were
involved in getting bids, preparation and cleanup. Also, of course,
observing the work being done. There were a number of day laborers
digging holes for the tiebacks. While the contractor was having a drink
with one of the condo residents, I saw a couple of the crew take a walk
around the building. Saw them go through belongings a couple of owners
had outside their doors...nothing of value, and they took nothing. The
"Mexicans" were still working, not pilfering private property.

We also have had thefts..coincidentally on the same day that advertising
junk had been hung on our doorknob early in the morning. There are lots
of opportunities for bad guys to scope out the property and come back to
remove valuables....I'd much rather have work done by someone I know,
Mexican or not. Nationality is absolutely irrelevant. Inviting a
stranger off the street into one's vehicle or home is asking for trouble.