Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing new toilet- just removed old one- question aboutremoving old wax ring.

On Apr 30, 9:00*pm, KOS wrote:
I have already removed the old toilet and have stuffed a rag in the
sewer opening. This is a toilet that has been in the house for the
past 15 years... I have used a putty knife to remove the old wax ring
- however there is still quite a bit there that is stuck in the
crevices - must I remove all of the old wax ring? thanks
KOS

Get out as much as you can, it does not need to be completely scraped
off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 9:24*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Apr 30, 9:00*pm, KOS wrote:

I have already removed the old toilet and have stuffed a rag in the
sewer opening. This is a toilet that has been in the house for the
past 15 years... I have used a putty knife to remove the old wax ring
- however there is still quite a bit there that is stuck in the
crevices - must I remove all of the old wax ring? thanks
KOS

Get out as much as you can, it does not need to be completely scraped
off.

The new wax ring should be soft enough to solve any minor surface
variations. I would make sure the new ring is at room temperature or
a little bit warmer than that to make sure it is soft enough to fill
all variations. They also make extra thickness wax rings if the
flange in the floor is at or below the floor level that the toilet
sits on. This is needed when the bathroom has been refloored or
retiled so that the toilet is slightly raised above the flange.

toilet: i am about to replace the wax ring samster Home Repair 3 August 28th 07 02:33 AM
Toilet Wax Ring twfsa Home Repair 6 April 15th 07 10:28 PM
New Toilet Ring? GoHabsGo Home Repair 3 October 4th 06 07:27 PM
New wax ring for toilet bowl? Tom The Great Home Repair 0 August 5th 06 09:55 PM
preventing sewer gas once toilet wax seal removed Rald Home Repair 8 January 9th 05 04:11 PM