Posted to alt.home.repair

Default leveling Intex pool platform with sand

I wanted to get one of those Intex 8 foot diameter pools for my
backyard like this one:

http://www.intexcorp.com/easyset.htm

They stress it is important to install on a level surface. I wanted to
install it on a concrete area in my backyard ( on thick padding ) but
the concrete is pitched slightly away from my house. How could I level
the area? I was thinking of using some sand on the concrete and
screeding it out, then install the padding on top, then the pool. This
way when the season is over, I just remove the pool, clean the sand
off and I'm done. Any inputs appreciated
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 05:23:50 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

I wanted to get one of those Intex 8 foot diameter pools for my
backyard like this one:

http://www.intexcorp.com/easyset.htm

They stress it is important to install on a level surface. I wanted to
install it on a concrete area in my backyard ( on thick padding ) but
the concrete is pitched slightly away from my house.

If it is an inch or two in 8 feet I wouldn't do anything. [Maybe
throw some 1" styrofoam under it to keep down abrasion & make life
easier on your feet.

Sand will likely wash out-- and not in a nice even way.

What kind of 'padding' do you have for it?

A friend put on up last year & it was 4-5 inches low on one end. No
problems & they had some big adults messing around there on occasion.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

-snip-
They stress it is important to install on a level surface. I wanted to
install it on a concrete area in my backyard ( on thick padding ) but
the concrete is pitched slightly away from my house.

One other thing to consider before you install it. Remember that it
holds about 1000 gallons of water. Where will that water go if
there is a sudden release of all of it? [all it takes is a drunk
sitting on the edge-- or trying to jump over it and failing]

If there is a cellar window right there do you have anything that
can't take good rinsing down there?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 7:23*am, Mikepier wrote:
I wanted to get one of those Intex 8 foot diameter pools for my
backyard like this one:

http://www.intexcorp.com/easyset.htm

They stress it is important to install on a level surface. I wanted to
install it on a concrete area in my backyard ( on thick *padding ) but
the concrete is pitched slightly away from my house. How could I level
the area? I was thinking of using some sand on the concrete and
screeding it out, then install the padding on top, then the pool. This
way when the season is over, I just remove the pool, clean the sand
off and I'm done. *Any inputs appreciated

This is very commonly done, just make sure there is no way for the
sand to work out from under the pool when it is under pressure once it
is filled. I just got some sand from a neighbor who is discontinuing
his pool and had some sand to get rid of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 5:13 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

I guess the question is, exactly how level does it need to be? I can
see an issue if it's uneven or on a major pitch, but if it's on a
concrete slab that has the normal slight pitch for water runoff and
the difference from one side to the other is less than an inch,
personally I'd skip the sand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 10:10*am, wrote:
On Apr 29, 5:13 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

personally I'd skip the sand.- Hide quoted text -

I think last time I checked with my 4 foot level, it was 3/4" over 4
feet, which means it is 1.5" over 8 feet. It is only sloping from the
house to the backyard, but side to side it is level.
I'm sure it would be worse if I was putting in a 15 foot pool as
opposed to an 8 foot, but nonetheless, I wanted to try to get it as
level as possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it is important to get it as level as possible. Even a 1-inch
difference will look funny when the water level is 6-inches from the top.
Also, a dif in depth will cause a difference in pressure from one side to
the other. If the depth is equal thente pressure is qual all around the the
pool is just stretched evenly. If pressureis lop-sided then the walls may
suffer. A small amount of slope should be OK but I'd try to make it zero so
the difference is actually small.

You can use packed sand but make sure that the weigh of the pool does not
cause it to squirt (slowly) out from the sides. There has to be some sort
of containmnt so the sand can't move sideways or upwards. You would have to
build a ringwall around the pool to hold about a foot of sand depth above
the pool bottom. The weight of sand would keep the bottom sand in place.

Is it safe to reuse pool filter's sand for sand box? [email protected] Home Repair 27 April 17th 19 08:24 AM
Changing Sand in Your Sand Pool Filter Your Local Pool Guy Home Repair 6 September 18th 08 01:31 AM
Changing Sand in Your Sand Pool Filter Your Local Pool Guy Home Ownership 1 January 4th 07 03:51 PM
Sand Filter (Pool) PJ Home Repair 5 September 25th 05 06:36 PM
3kw heater for Intex/Bestway 10ft pool [email protected] UK diy 19 July 11th 05 11:32 PM