Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do they paint 2-inch pool pipes black? (just repaired with 2"white PVC)

On Apr 19, 2:03*am, Brent beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
I'm curious why they paint all the white 2-inch PVC pool pump area pipes
flat black?

On Friday, I put a new pool pump motor in but forgot to open all the Jandy
valves so the pipes overheated, expanded, and blew up in places (a 1.5 HP
motor is strong!).

Anyway, my 2 inch outside diameter PVC pipe from Home Depot earlier today
now stands off as bright white while the rest of the pipes re painted flat
black.

No big deal but I was wondering WHY they paint the PVC pool pipes black and
if it's a good enough reason for me to follow suit on my 2-foot section of
repair pipes.

The three reasons I can think of don't seem to hold water:
- heat retention? (c'mon ... how much heat will black retain over white on
a few pipes that are in the open sun?)
- sunlight damage? (maybe ... but then why don't they just sell pool pipes
that have paint on them already)
- asthetics? (c'mon ... can black matter versus white)

Any other reason for the flat black pool pipe paint?

no do not paint ! reason for black paint 2 much beer, attemtp to hide
pluming.
reason not to paint . ease of repair.
never walk away after a repair , prime the pump and wait to see that
every thing is flowing WITH NO LEAKS and the filter preasure is
OK .you can turn pump on and off on and off and watch the pump as you
do this (my trick) see leaks ? fix them.... remember a clean poool is
a safer pool.... POOLPUMPREPAIRGUY .IN SUNNY LONGWOOD FLORIDA . where
the pool is always open, come on in the water is just fine.. Jay