Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do they paint 2-inch pool pipes black? (just repaired with2" white PVC)

Brent wrote:
I'm curious why they paint all the white 2-inch PVC pool pump area pipes
flat black?

On Friday, I put a new pool pump motor in but forgot to open all the Jandy
valves so the pipes overheated, expanded, and blew up in places (a 1.5 HP
motor is strong!).

Anyway, my 2 inch outside diameter PVC pipe from Home Depot earlier today
now stands off as bright white while the rest of the pipes re painted flat
black.

No big deal but I was wondering WHY they paint the PVC pool pipes black and
if it's a good enough reason for me to follow suit on my 2-foot section of
repair pipes.

The three reasons I can think of don't seem to hold water:
- heat retention? (c'mon ... how much heat will black retain over white on
a few pipes that are in the open sun?)
- sunlight damage? (maybe ... but then why don't they just sell pool pipes
that have paint on them already)
- asthetics? (c'mon ... can black matter versus white)

Any other reason for the flat black pool pipe paint?

The paint is to protect the PVC from the UV of the sun. White paint,
(or green or red or blue) would work just as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2010 8:51 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Brent wrote:
[...]

Black pigments are the most effective UV absorbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:14:44 -0400, George wrote:

The paint is to protect the PVC from the UV of the sun. White paint, (or
green or red or blue) would work just as well.

Black pigments are the most effective UV absorbers.

I wonder why they don't just sell black PVC 2" OD pipe then???

Even at Leslies' Pool Supply, they're white.

Everyone seems to just paint them.

It's cheap and easy; but I was just wondering why we don't just start out
with UV-resistant PVC pipe???
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:14:44 -0400, George wrote:

The paint is to protect the PVC from the UV of the sun. White
paint, (or green or red or blue) would work just as well.

Black pigments are the most effective UV absorbers.

I wonder why they don't just sell black PVC 2" OD pipe then???

Even at Leslies' Pool Supply, they're white.

Maybe they don't want to confuse PVC with ABS?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Painting black reduces the absorption of UVA, B, and C so that the pipe
lasts a little longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:34:01 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Even at Leslies' Pool Supply, they're white.

Maybe they don't want to confuse PVC with ABS?

I think I found a clue why I need to use (white) PVC and not (black) ABS
pipe fittings in the high-pressure side of my pool plumbing!

http://www.swimming-pool-repair.net/plumbing.html
"ABS is not pressure rated for applications such as a pool plumbing sytstem
and an ABS pool system will be likely to develop leak problems
prematurely."

Also ...
"ABS pipe can be identified by its black color and the yellow glue used to
fuse the fittings to the pipe. PVC is generally white and should have a
wall thicknes of 40mm commonly refered to as schedule 40."

Since I used the "blue" glue, I wonder if it will make a difference with my
single accidental ABS fitting???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 00:00:31 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

What's the difference from a practical standpoint for
outdoor 12-hours-a-day-in-the-sun 2-inch OD pool water pipes
between black ABS and white-painted-black PVC pipe?

"The Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation on PVC Pipe"
http://www.uni-bell.org/pubs/uni-tr-5.pdf

Summarized by the PVC Pipe Association he
http://www.uni-bell.org/faq.html

Further summarized by yours truly below:
Q: What effect does ultraviolet exposure have on PVC pipe?
A: Not much but enough to warrant a thin coat of opaque paint!

Modulus of Elasticity = unchanged after two years of sun
Tensile Strength = unchanged after two years of sun
Impact Strength = reduced drastically (by 75%) after two years of sun
Structural Integrity = unchanged after two years of sun
Pressure Capacity unchanged after two years of sun

The loss of impact strength stopped deteriorating as soon as the pipes were
protected by the sun so it's directly related to the UV radiation.

Luckily, the presence of an opaque surface between the sun and the pipe
prevents UV degradation, since UV radiation will not penetrate thin shields
such as paint coatings or wrappings or burial.

Why black? What's more opaque than black? Electrical PVC outdoor pipe is
gray. Go figure.

PS: I heard some paint won't stick to PVC so maybe you need special PVC
paint?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:26:51 -0700, LM wrote:

maybe you need special PVC paint?

http://www.pvcworkshop.com/painting.htm
How to Paint Your PVC Pipe Projects

"I've had the best success with the Krylon„˘ Fusion brand thats formulated
for plastic and PVC."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:24*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:30:23 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:
Painting black reduces the absorption of UVA, B, and C so that the pipe
lasts a little longer.

I live in South Florida where water doesn't freeze. There are folks
around here with well pipes, water softeners pressure tanks etc, that
have been in the sun for 30 years without breaking so I do think the
UV thing may be overstated a bit.
Sure if you back over one with your car it will break but it isn't
just going to spontaneously shatter.

I took out some PVC pipe that had been exposed to the sun for about 7
years. It was still doing its job but it was brittle as heck.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:14:44 -0400, George wrote:

The paint is to protect the PVC from the UV of the sun. White paint, (or
green or red or blue) would work just as well.

Black pigments are the most effective UV absorbers.

I wonder why they don't just sell black PVC 2" OD pipe then???

Even at Leslies' Pool Supply, they're white.

Everyone seems to just paint them.

It's cheap and easy; but I was just wondering why we don't just start out
with UV-resistant PVC pipe???

If it makes any difference mine are all still white. I don't remember seeing
any that were painted any color. That's weird that it blew up. I had my
waste valve closed one time and tried to back wash. I didn't have it on long
so it didn't do anything. I'm glad you said something because I never would
of imagined that could happen. I'll bet your motor seal goes out soon if it
isn't gone already.

I'm always afraid I'm going to do something stupid like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 7:26*pm, LM wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 00:00:31 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
What's the difference from a practical standpoint for
outdoor 12-hours-a-day-in-the-sun 2-inch OD pool water pipes
between black ABS and white-painted-black PVC pipe?

"The Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation on PVC Pipe"http://www.uni-bell.org/pubs/uni-tr-5.pdf

Summarized by the PVC Pipe Association hehttp://www.uni-bell.org/faq.html

Further summarized by yours truly below:
Q: What effect does ultraviolet exposure have on PVC pipe?
A: Not much but enough to warrant a thin coat of opaque paint!

Modulus of Elasticity = unchanged after two years of sun
Tensile Strength = unchanged after two years of sun
Impact Strength = reduced drastically (by 75%) after two years of sun
Structural Integrity = unchanged after two years of sun
Pressure Capacity unchanged after two years of sun

The loss of impact strength stopped deteriorating as soon as the pipes were
protected by the sun so it's directly related to the UV radiation.

Luckily, the presence of an opaque surface between the sun and the pipe
prevents UV degradation, since UV radiation will not penetrate thin shields
such as paint coatings or wrappings or burial.

Why black? What's more opaque than black? Electrical PVC outdoor pipe is
gray. Go figure.

PS: I heard some paint won't stick to PVC so maybe you need special PVC
paint?

LM-

Super reply!

My landscape guy used white PVC (not sunlight resistance & unpainted)
for an above manifold but placed such that it got very little direct
sunlight.

After about 25 years, a narrow strip of plywood (3/4"x 3.5" x 96")
that I Ieft on the patio cover blew off and hit one of the brass anti-
siphon valves.

The PVC on the pressure side broke and I repaired with the grey
PVC........ too lazy to rebuild the whole manifold in sunlight
resistant PVC or copper.
Maybe it'll last another 25 years?

cheers
Bob