Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to repair busted pipe in garage wall?

One thing important. Remove the hose, in the fall.

As to this application. The photos are very helpful. Does
the water come from the cellar? Perhaps the shut off valve
should be in the cellar. And right after the shut off,
another hose bib (garden hose faucet) so you can drain the
water out of the pipe.

Not being there, I'm mostly just thinking with my fingers on
the keyboard.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"james" wrote in message
I just found the pipe leading to an outside faucet has
busted. Probably due
to frozen pipe in the winter.

I see two ways to fix this:

(1) saw off the drywall and replace the busted section. Then
patch drywall.
Pros: looks neat. Cons: need to repair drywall, and the pipe
may bust again
in the future.

(2) saw off the pipe leading into the wall and reroute the
pipe along the
wall (instead of into the wall) and then poke a hole to the
outside and
install a new faucet. Pros: no need to cut and repair
drywall, and being
inside the garage, the new pipe is less likely to freeze.
Cons: does not
look as neat.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/11860751_WQLNu

The smaller, red valve is the shutoff to the outside faucet.
The copper pipe on the wall is the hot water relief outlet
and is not
related to this problem.

BTW, before winter I closed the valve inside the garage and
opened the
faucet outside the garage. No water came out. This must mean
the water
stayed inside the pipe, which is why it busted. Is there a
way to make the
water come out?

Also, the shutoff valve is lower than the outside faucet. I
believe the pipe
inside the wall first turns upward, and then slope downward
toward the
outside faucet. I know it slope downward because I cut a
hole in the
drywall.

Any other tips related to this repair?