Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Wood Question ?

Hello,

Have the typical outside Deck constructed of (some type of) pressure
treated wood.

Have several flower pots, and good size planters on it.
When it rains, or course, water seeps between the bottom of the planters
which are absolutely flat and the wood. I guess mainly by capillary action.

This can't be good for the wood, as the water, with no way of
evaporating stays there, and the wood therefore stays wet for a Very
long time.

Is this something to worry about or be concerned with ?

if a problem, what would you recommend for weather-proof small feet to
glue or fasten to bottoms of the planters and pots ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have the typical outside Deck constructed of (some type of) pressure
treated wood.

Have several flower pots, and good size planters on it.
When it rains, or course, water seeps between the bottom of the
planters which are absolutely flat and the wood. I guess mainly by
capillary action.
This can't be good for the wood, as the water, with no way of
evaporating stays there, and the wood therefore stays wet for a Very
long time.

Is this something to worry about or be concerned with ?

if a problem, what would you recommend for weather-proof small feet to
glue or fasten to bottoms of the planters and pots ?

It will likely result in early deck rot. You can buy rubber feet with adhesive
for attachment. Or, you can get the pots off the deck. Just watering the plants
is going to have problems, long term. It will always be moist under them if the
pots are porous or have drain holes.

I once built a shelf outside a deck I built, for the pots, using pressure
treated wood with big gaps for all wood that had contact with the pots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have the typical outside Deck constructed of (some type of) pressure
treated wood.

Have several flower pots, and good size planters on it.
When it rains, or course, water seeps between the bottom of the
planters which are absolutely flat and the wood. I guess mainly by
capillary action.
This can't be good for the wood, as the water, with no way of
evaporating stays there, and the wood therefore stays wet for a Very
long time.

Is this something to worry about or be concerned with ?

if a problem, what would you recommend for weather-proof small feet to
glue or fasten to bottoms of the planters and pots ?

I had same - wood rotted under the big pots...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:28:35 -0400, Bob wrote:

if a problem, what would you recommend for weather-proof small fe

I use plant stands that have casters on the bottom. The box store eill
have them in the garden section. Some are redwood, other stainless
steel. It would be easy to build yourself some. When I bring large
plants in the house, I also use the clear plastic pans to prevent
water leakage.

Sample:

http://www.planterixchange.com/Stain...rs-p-3020.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:28:35 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have the typical outside Deck constructed of (some type of) pressure
treated wood.

Have several flower pots, and good size planters on it.
When it rains, or course, water seeps between the bottom of the planters
which are absolutely flat and the wood. I guess mainly by capillary action.

This can't be good for the wood, as the water, with no way of
evaporating stays there, and the wood therefore stays wet for a Very
long time.

Is this something to worry about or be concerned with ?

if a problem, what would you recommend for weather-proof small feet to
glue or fasten to bottoms of the planters and pots ?

Thanks,
Bob

This can be a very serious problem leading to rot. Rest each pot on
a trivet. I use wooden sticks, half-inch thick, two for each pot. No
need to fasten the sticks to anything.

icy wood deck Smitty Two Home Repair 10 January 15th 10 04:08 PM
Yearly Maintenance on Wood Deck for Various Deck Finish? Jay Chan Home Repair 17 September 17th 08 05:02 PM
Wood deck sealers (tired question, new twist) Comboverfish Home Repair 6 September 4th 07 03:24 AM
Question about wood grain on a deck Dick Snyder Woodworking 2 May 29th 07 02:24 AM
Firepit on a Wood Deck [email protected] Home Repair 8 December 17th 04 04:52 PM