Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refinishing hardwood floor

Hi,
I'm going to sand and refinish a hardwood floor that has some dark
stains from pet urine. Even after sanding, they remain darker than the
rest of the floor. Would bleach help lighten them up to match the rest
of the floor?
Thanks,
Henry

--

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." --
Albert Einstein.

http://911research.wtc7.net
http://www.journalof911studies.com/
http://www.ae911truth.org

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Henry" wrote in message

Hi,
I'm going to sand and refinish a hardwood floor that has some dark stains
from pet urine. Even after sanding, they remain darker than the rest of
the floor. Would bleach help lighten them up to match the rest
of the floor?
Thanks,
Henry

Bleach would lighten them up, however, getting them to match the rest of the
floor would be luck of the draw. Doing it right would require you to chisel
those boards out and replace them prior to sanding. If they're stained like
that, they're damaged anyway, why would you want to keep them?

gl,

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 5:12*am, "Joe" wrote:
"Henry" wrote in message

*Hi,
*I'm going to sand and refinish a hardwood floor that has some dark stains
from pet urine. Even after sanding, they remain darker than the rest of
the floor. Would bleach help lighten them up to match the rest
of the floor?
*Thanks,
*Henry

Bleach would lighten them up, however, getting them to match the rest of the
floor would be luck of the draw. *Doing it right would require you to chisel
those boards out and replace them prior to sanding. *If they're stained like
that, they're damaged anyway, why would you want to keep them?

gl,

jc

Save the aggravation. Just use a small rug.

MATT
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Henry wrote:

I'm going to sand and refinish a hardwood floor that has some dark
stains from pet urine. Even after sanding, they remain darker than the
rest of the floor. Would bleach help lighten them up to match the rest
of the floor?

Oxalic acid...follow directions on label; start lightly

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"matt" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 5:12 am, "Joe" wrote:
"Henry" wrote in message

[...]

....or you could do it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Joe wrote:
...or you could do it right.

Yeah, like remove the staining...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Henry wrote:

Hi,
I'm going to sand and refinish a hardwood floor that has some dark
stains from pet urine. Even after sanding, they remain darker than the
rest of the floor. Would bleach help lighten them up to match the rest
of the floor?

Oxalic acid is your friend here. The stains are caused by tannins in the wood
darkening. Buy some deck cleaner (check the label to be sure it contains
oxalic acid) and soak the area. Repeat until the stain is gone. I've even used
it on finished floors. It won't change the unstained area at all. -- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
Bleach would lighten them up, however, getting them to match the rest of
the floor would be luck of the draw. Doing it right would require you
to chisel those boards out and replace them prior to sanding. If
they're stained like that, they're damaged anyway, why would you want to
keep them?

The OP may be in the same circumstances as myself. I have mid 1950's
floor. It is solid oak 3/4 inch thick by two inches wide. Top nailed, not
tongue and grove.

Just try to find 2 inch wide 3/4 inch thick oak (preferably red oak). If
you do find it, please post the link.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 7:12*am, "Joe" wrote:
"Henry" wrote in message

*Hi,
*I'm going to sand and refinish a hardwood floor that has some dark stains
from pet urine. Even after sanding, they remain darker than the rest of
the floor. Would bleach help lighten them up to match the rest
of the floor?
*Thanks,
*Henry

Bleach would lighten them up, however, getting them to match the rest of the
floor would be luck of the draw. *Doing it right would require you to chisel
those boards out and replace them prior to sanding. *If they're stained like
that, they're damaged anyway, why would you want to keep them?

gl,

jc

Wouldn't a good drum sanding take care of most of this? And then use
bleach if needed?