Posted to alt.home.repair

Default install outlet on exterior stucco wall

I like to install an outlet on an exterior stucco wall so that I can
put in a fountain. The other side of this same wall is in my garage.
There is an existing outlet in the garage right where I plan to
install the new outlet, but the existing outlet is about 3' higher
than where I plan to install the new outlet outside.

1. Should I cut an opening on the inside wall right where the new
exterior outlet will be, and do I need to install an J box here?
2. How do I drill through the stucco wall? With a drill bit?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I like to install an outlet on an exterior stucco wall so that I can
put in a fountain. The other side of this same wall is in my garage.
There is an existing outlet in the garage right where I plan to
install the new outlet, but the existing outlet is about 3' higher
than where I plan to install the new outlet outside.

1. Should I cut an opening on the inside wall right where the new
exterior outlet will be, and do I need to install an J box here?
2. How do I drill through the stucco wall? With a drill bit?

Thanks

If you have a small carbide bit, 3/16", and a hammer drill, you should be
able to trace the outline of a "cut in gem box", onto the stucco, then
carefully drill holes along the lines about 1/4" apart. Then break out the
material. You'll next have to cut through the plywood or whatever sheeting
you have, to fit the box. Once that's done, you can easily snake from the
box on the inside to the large opening on the outside and install the cable,
box, gfci outlet, and in use cover

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
Or for lesser work you can install a surface mount weather [proof box.
Better have GFCI outlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

He could do that if he went straight through a knockout in the back of the
inside box, through the stucco and into a rain-tight box, but he wants to be
below the inside box, which makes it a little more difficult

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 2:30*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

RBM wrote:
*wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I like the outside box to be lower than the one inside. So I
really have to snake the wire down from the inside box, create an
opening on the inside wall at the level where the outside box will be
installed, drill a hole through the stucco through this opening, and
install an outside GFI protected outlet box. Then I have to patch up
the inside opening. Does this sound right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 2:18*pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

But if I create the opening on the outside, then I need to be really
accurate in my positioning. Otherwise I risk creating an outside
opening which misses the cable when I snake it down from the inside
outlet.
The other alternative is to create the opening on the inside, grab the
wire that is snaked down from the interior outlet, create an exterior
opening in the stucco, install the exterior outlet box with the cable,
patch up the inside opening.
Please advise if what I am suggesting makes sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 8, 2:30 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That's fine, depending upon which knockout in the inside box, your going to
use, you may be able to snake it without cutting a work hole under the box

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

What you are suggesting makes perfect sense, and what I'm suggesting is
quite a bit more work. Typically the box on the inside will be mounted to a
stud. You pretty much just have to be close to that location on the outside,
and on the same side of that stud

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 5:49*pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

and on the same side of that stud- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like the interior garage wall is finished. Is that
correct?? You should be able to measure carefully and go from the
inside to the outside within 1/2 inch accuracy if you know how to
measure carefully and use a 4' carpenter's level. I you have any
doubts, use a long drill and drill a small hole in what you expect to
be the center of the new outside box, when you go thru the inside wall
of the garage, then you will have a measuring point from which all
other measurements are made.

YUou really need to tell us what the outside stucco wall is made of,
and if the inside finished wall is on studs, screwed into concrete
block outside wall, or whatever. You could get much better answers if
you gave more details in the original post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 7:05*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 8, 5:49*pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I just removed the outlet cover for the outlet inside the garage. The
outlet box is screw onto a wood stud on one side. The wall in the
garage is finished.
I cannot see what is on the inside of the stucco wall without creating
a new opening below the inside outlet box. But one thing I am sure of
is that there is no concrete block inside the wall. This is purely a
wood and stucco home in Southern CA. So is it likely that the stucco
is applied onto a plywood sheet?
Can I use a wood drill bit to drill through stucco?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 7:26*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 7:05*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 8, 5:49*pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

By the way, the inside outlet box does not have a breakout on the
bottom surface. It is one of those plastic outlet boxes. Do I just
just a drill bit to open a hole at the bottom surface of the outlet
box and snake the wire through it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 8, 7:26 pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 7:05 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 8, 5:49 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

If it's an old bakelite box, the knockouts are not apparent from the inside
of the box. If you hit the area with a screwdriver, it should pop a hole
through it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 5:43*am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 8, 7:26 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 7:05 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 8, 5:49 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

through it- Hide quoted text -

Since it appears you will be able to get the wire connected between
the two boxes, I would start by figuring out what the external wall is
made of. I would drill a hole in the outside wall where the box is to
be located and then use a scroll saw to enllarge the hole. You should
be abler to get your hand inside a hole that is big enough for the
outside box. You can get a box that will mount on the stucco wall
using various tabs and projections. Go to you local large hardware
store and get someone to help you to find a box that will fit your
needs. Until you know what the thickness and composition of the
external wall is, we can't tell you much more. Don't you have someone
in your neighborhood who is handy? This is really a simple project.
Just be sure that your external box has a GFCI outlet and a
weatherproof cover. You may be able to use a regular outlet if the
garage outlet is already gfci protected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 8:19*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 9, 5:43*am, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 7:26 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 7:05 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 8, 5:49 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

Is there any building code that stipulates how high the external
outlet box should be from dirt?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Make sure you miss any studs. Should be able to locate with stud finder if
interior walls are covered. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Cut the inside wall for a box opening that matches where the outlet will be
outside. Snake wire to that point. Cut outside wall. Install box. Put GFI in
the place of the origanal outlet. Wire up outside box. Cover inside opening
with a blank cover. You may need to put a shallow box inside to attach the
cover to. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 5:12*pm, "WW" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

cover to. WW- Hide quoted text -

You are making this too complicated. Just measure from a common
point, such as the corner of a window to get the inside and outside
measurements. Don't you have a 25' tape measure and a level????
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone for all your input. They have been invaluable. I
finished snaking the wire through the exterior wall from the inside
outlet. I did this by creating an interior opening right where I had
the exterior hole so that I can use this opening to push the wire
through the exterior hole. This helps me to minimize the size of the
exterior hole. I will cover up the interior opening using a blank
cover. Should I use drywall patch compound to patch up the interior
opening first before installing a blank cover? The opening is about
2.5" x 2".

Now I just need to go and purchase an outdoor outlet box with GFI
outlets and attach it to the stucco wall. How do I screw the outlet
box to stucco? Are there special screws that I need to use? Should I
use plastic wall anchors?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone for all your input. They have been invaluable. I
finished snaking the wire through the exterior wall from the inside
outlet. I did this by creating an interior opening right where I had
the exterior hole so that I can use this opening to push the wire
through the exterior hole. This helps me to minimize the size of the
exterior hole. I will cover up the interior opening using a blank
cover. Should I use drywall patch compound to patch up the interior
opening first before installing a blank cover? The opening is about
2.5" x 2".

Now I just need to go and purchase an outdoor outlet box with GFI
outlets and attach it to the stucco wall. How do I screw the outlet
box to stucco? Are there special screws that I need to use? Should I
use plastic wall anchors?

*Go ahead and patch the wall using the drywall piece that you cut out. No
need to put a blank cover over it after it is patched, sanded and painted.

If you located the wire next to a stud you can slide the box over so part of
it is over the stud. Drill two holes in the back of the box so that you can
screw it to the stud. You may have to drill pilot holes through the stucco
for the wood or sheet metals screws to catch the wood stud. Use a masonry
bit for drilling through the stucco.

If you are not located close to a wood stud, you can use plastic anchors and
sheet metal screws. Use the correct size masonry bit for the anchors. A
1/4" bit is used for #10-12 anchors.

Put duct seal in the hole behind the box where the wire comes through to
prevent air from leaking inside. Caulk around the top and two sides of the
box after you mount it. Do not caulk the bottom. Lately I have been using
GE Silicone 2 Gutter and Flashing caulk. It remains very pliable after it
cures, but it is not paintable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11:19:55 a.m. UTC-4, hr(bob) wrote:
On Apr 9, 5:43 am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 8, 7:26 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 7:05 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 8, 5:49 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 1:56:00 p.m. UTC-4, wrote:
I like to install an outlet on an exterior stucco wall so that I can
put in a fountain. The other side of this same wall is in my garage.
There is an existing outlet in the garage right where I plan to
install the new outlet, but the existing outlet is about 3' higher
than where I plan to install the new outlet outside.
1. Should I cut an opening on the inside wall right where the new
exterior outlet will be, and do I need to install an J box here?
2. How do I drill through the stucco wall? With a drill bit?
Thanks

We have experience in Exterior Stucco Http://Skystuccosystems.ca we can answer your questions there!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 4:17:24 PM UTC-5, Graphic Animation wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 1:56:00 p.m. UTC-4, wrote:
I like to install an outlet on an exterior stucco wall so that I can
put in a fountain. The other side of this same wall is in my garage.
There is an existing outlet in the garage right where I plan to
install the new outlet, but the existing outlet is about 3' higher
than where I plan to install the new outlet outside.
1. Should I cut an opening on the inside wall right where the new
exterior outlet will be, and do I need to install an J box here?
2. How do I drill through the stucco wall? With a drill bit?
Thanks

We have experience in Exterior Stucco Http://Skystuccosystems.ca we can answer your questions there!

Ca meaning southern California or Canada?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2021 3:53 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 4:17:24 PM UTC-5, Graphic Animation wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2010 at 1:56:00 p.m. UTC-4, wrote:
I like to install an outlet on an exterior stucco wall so that I can
put in a fountain. The other side of this same wall is in my garage.
There is an existing outlet in the garage right where I plan to
install the new outlet, but the existing outlet is about 3' higher
than where I plan to install the new outlet outside.
1. Should I cut an opening on the inside wall right where the new
exterior outlet will be, and do I need to install an J box here?
2. How do I drill through the stucco wall? With a drill bit?
Thanks

We have experience in Exterior Stucco Http://Skystuccosystems.ca we can answer your questions there!

Ca meaning southern California or Canada?

The internet suffix ca is always Canada