Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A buzzing breaker

Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

Thanks,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 8:16�am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

Thanks,

Sam

disconnect ONE dimmer at a time to narrow down the possible offender./

did you swap breakers or breaker leads? the maiun might have a flakey
problem try swapping leads temporarily to see if buzzing goes away
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

Thanks,

Sam

If it's buzzing continuously, I suspect a bad breaker. If it buzzes
momentarily when an induction load is starting, I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

The circuit has too many things on it!

This circuit is very close to using too much electricity (amperage/wattage).
Use just a little more electricity on this circuit and the breaker will
trip.

The solution is to move something to a different circuit. Or install a new
circuit and place some of the things on that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you think the second swap would do anything different
than the first swap?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:16:42 -0400,
Sam Takoy
wrote:

Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a
few dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the
breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

Thanks,

Sam

Swap it with another breaker in your panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're skilled with this. Please check the amp draw of
the circuit. It may be almost about to trip. I've heard
breakers buzz if they are high amps, but not quite tripped.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few
dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the
breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

Thanks,

Sam

You may be barking up the right tree with the dimmers. *Dimmers have
triacs or scrs in them. (semiconductors). *They are supposed to have
capacitor filters for noise, but you could have a cheap one, or a bad
one. *Since you already swapped the breaker, it's not the breaker.
Shuit OFF every dimmer, does it still buzz? *If no, it's one of the
dimmers, turn them on one at a time to find which one is bad. *If it
still buzzes, disconnect the wire to each dimmer, OR just remove the
lightbulb(s) connected to each one. *Some dimmers are still active
even when off. *IF that still dont fix it, shut off or unplug
everything else on that circuit. *It's got to be one device on it.

You are sure it IS the breaker itself, right? *You might have a
doorbell or furnace/thermostat transformer buzzing on the electrical
panel, or nearby. *They are known to do that. *Look for one of them,
(search google for a photo of "doorbell transformer" if needed).
The way to troubleshoot any elec. problem is to isolate the problem by
removing everything on that circuit, then turning thm back on one at a
time to find the culprit. *Those small transformers are easy to
change, but get the correct voltage/amp. *Your elec. supply store can
help with that.

As for your 2" knockout problem, just buy the reducers at your elec.
supply store. *You'll pay about $2. *It takes a minute to install
them. *Why fuss with drilling holes (risk getting metal burrs in the
breakers), or things against the code like duct tape. *You likely MUST
go to an electrical supply store. *HomeDepot and places like that
likely do not have em. (or they may). *Next time, learn how to knock
out the small hole (gently). *It takes a great deal of force to remove
the whole 2", compared to the small half inch.

The trick is to bend them with a screwdriver or pair of small pliers
inserted into the first cut until you can rock the knockout back and
forth and then do that rather than hammering on the knockout.
Reducing washers are required now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 05:28:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 7, 8:16?am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

Thanks,

Sam

disconnect ONE dimmer at a time to narrow down the possible offender./

did you swap breakers or breaker leads? the maiun might have a flakey
problem try swapping leads temporarily to see if buzzing goes away

Turn OFF all the dimmers. That takes them out of the equation - If it
still buzzes you LIKELY have another bad breaker. There was one brand
that was a lot worse than others for being noisy - can't remember
which one but want to say westinghouse??????
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
You may be barking up the right tree with the dimmers. Dimmers have

triacs or scrs in them. (semiconductors). They are supposed to have
capacitor filters for noise, but you could have a cheap one, or a bad
one. Since you already swapped the breaker, it's not the breaker.

Those filters are for radio frequency noise. That is it helps to prevent
the dimmers from generating electrical noise that can be picked up on a
radio or tv..

It has nothing to do with the sounds or anything that will cause sounds to
be generated by the device or wiring that you can hear with your ears.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Hi,

On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few dimmers on
in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the breaker, the new
one buzzes the same. What's the solution?

Answer the door.

Ear Plugs?

Electric BBQ breaks GFI 20 Amp breaker yet works fine with non-GFI breaker. BoyntonStu Home Repair 10 May 26th 07 06:56 PM
buzzing breaker???? Gary Home Repair 9 April 22nd 07 08:11 PM
Buzzing breaker???? Gary Home Ownership 3 April 21st 07 08:45 PM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 07:34 PM
Circuit breaker tester maps to wrong breaker!! Joe Doe Home Repair 7 November 30th 04 01:47 AM