Posted to alt.home.repair

Default buzzing breaker????

I was recently putting a new circuit into my breaker box when I noticed one of the breakers was buzzing. I flicked it off and back on and it stopped. It then started buzzing again. I thought bad breaker so I replaced it. Same problem. I then went around the house to trace what was on that breaker and found that a motion sensor switch in our pantry caused the problem. When the light came on the buzzing would start. That is why when I flipped the breaker it turned off the motion switch and didn't buzz again until someone used the pantry.

What would be causing this?

Thanks
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:07:16 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

My guess would be the circuit that turns on the light is not a zero crossing type. If you put your ear near the light can you hear it buzz?

"Zero Crossing" ? ? ? HUH ???????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 03:12:16 +0000, Gary wrote:

I was recently putting a new circuit into my breaker box when I noticed one of the breakers was buzzing. I flicked it off and back on and it stopped. It then started buzzing again. I thought bad breaker so I replaced it. Same problem. I then went around the house to trace what was on that breaker and found that a motion sensor switch in our pantry caused the problem. When the light came on the buzzing would start. That is why when I flipped the breaker it turned off the motion switch and didn't buzz again until someone used the pantry.

What would be causing this?

Thanks
Gary

Are you sure its the breaker? A breaker should have nothing in it capable
of buzzing. Perhaps there is a transformer close by. When dust gets into
transformers they can buzz. Try vacuuming out your breaker panel if its
dusty or cobwebby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dnoyeB wrote:
[...]

And the motion detector is affecting the transformer just how?

And if it WAS a transformer buzzing, just how does dust make it buzz?
Loose windings or laminations maybe, but certainly not non-metalic dust.

Conventional breakers have an electromagnet in them which is quite
capable of trying to act like a crummy loudspeaker if things get a
little loose inside it. Here's an animation of a breraker, albeit an ad
for someone's hot-shot improved breaker.

http://www.zlan.com/brk_info.htm

Sheesh....Learn a little about how things work before trying to teach
others, guy.

Jeff

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In reading up somewhat on motion detectors. There are alot of
different kinds of motion detecters in " how they would detect"
motion, but I believe that most, at least the older models, would have
a relay in it, which switches on/off with motion. The contacts of this
relay could be dirty. One possibility.....or similiar such as a
defective lamp socket, etc. Try hooking up a regular 120vac lamp, like
a worklight somewhere before the detector.......could probably do that
in the breaker panel..............if it buzzes then, then its not the
detector.

Note-try this only if you are experienced enough with
electricity.....dont want anyone to get hurt :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:43:51 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Are you sure its the breaker? A breaker should have nothing in it capable
of buzzing. Perhaps there is a transformer close by. When dust gets into
transformers they can buzz. Try vacuuming out your breaker panel if its
dusty or cobwebby.

And the motion detector is affecting the transformer just how?

Obviously by placing a load on it.

And if it WAS a transformer buzzing, just how does dust make it buzz?
Loose windings or laminations maybe, but certainly not non-metalic dust.

Transformers buzz all the time. It does not take much to cause it. A
dirty core can do this. Certainly if it causes the transformer to
overheat.

Conventional breakers have an electromagnet in them which is quite
capable of trying to act like a crummy loudspeaker if things get a
little loose inside it. Here's an animation of a breraker, albeit an ad
for someone's hot-shot improved breaker.

http://www.zlan.com/brk_info.htm

Sheesh....Learn a little about how things work before trying to teach
others, guy.

Jeff

Jeff

I know a littlebit. Should have been obvious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"avid_hiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
In reading up somewhat on motion detectors. There are alot of
different kinds of motion detecters in " how they would detect"
motion, but I believe that most, at least the older models, would have
a relay in it, which switches on/off with motion. The contacts of this
relay could be dirty. One possibility.....or similiar such as a
defective lamp socket, etc. Try hooking up a regular 120vac lamp, like
a worklight somewhere before the detector.......could probably do that
in the breaker panel..............if it buzzes then, then its not the
detector.

Most do not have a relay. They have a triac. The circuit that turns on the
triac, if it's that type of detector, can generate lots of noise. The
breaker has an electromagnet that, when enough current passes, trips the
switch. It's the electromagnet vibrating that he hears. Since the triac
shuts off every time the line goes to zero (120 times a second) it has to be
turned back on repeatably to keep the light on. If the lamp is energized
when the line is very close to zero volts - zero crossing - no noise. If
it's randomly turned on, it may go on anywhere in the sine wave. The inrush
current when it turns on at higher voltage causes a noise in the supply
line.You can usually hear this in the bulb, sounds a little like a rattle.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Apr 18, 11:12 pm, "Gary" wrote:
I was recently putting a new circuit into my breaker box when I noticed one of the breakers was buzzing. I flicked it off and back on and it stopped. It then started buzzing again. I thought bad breaker so I replaced it. Same problem. I then went around the house to trace what was on that breaker and found that a motion sensor switch in our pantry caused the problem. When the light came on the buzzing would start. That is why when I flipped the breaker it turned off the motion switch and didn't buzz again until someone used the pantry.

What would be causing this?

Thanks
Gary

ive heard alot of breakers do that usually only temporarily and
usually under larger loads.if the bus is good in the panel (no burns),
and you have new breaker , and your connections in the circuit are all
good then i would be looking at your motion sw or light. should
perform load test on circuit at breaker while this buzzing happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLR MLR is offline

I don't think you will get too much useable Info in here. Free advice is
worth exactly what you pay for it.

MLR

. ..

Buzzing Outlet Pat Home Repair 6 April 26th 06 07:53 PM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 07:34 PM
TV Buzzing....any ideas? Colin UK diy 14 January 25th 05 09:25 AM
Circuit breaker tester maps to wrong breaker!! Joe Doe Home Repair 7 November 30th 04 01:47 AM
Transformer is Buzzing - barry martin Home Repair 1 October 31st 03 09:56 AM