Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Perhaps OT? Cleaning a headstone

Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

When my dad as alive and still active he spent a day or so each month on the
old family cemetery. Several of the markers predate the civil war.

Anyway, he would lightly "scrub" the markers with powered "dolimite
limestone."

The markers were darkened by fungi and from leaves from hardwood trees.
(My grandfather caused all the markers that weren't horizontal already to be
set on the respective grave.)

The limestone did clean things up a bit and it also filled in the carvings
with the white limestone and increased the contrast with the stains.

I'm not sure this will help you and I can't guarantee or recommend it. But
my dad used the technique for about 10 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

Modern Polished Granite: Clean water, non-ionic solution, biocide solution,
Acid based granite cleaning solution, include with links. It is most common
in a dry crystal form and is mixed with water to form a solution. Its
strength may be varied based on the amount of crystals added. Please be very
careful, as eye protection and rubber gloves should be worn. Also it may
kill grass or plantings in the area around the stone being cleaned.

http://www.gravestonepreservation.info/cleangr-1.asp

HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

This article may help you:
http://www.diylife.com/2008/05/26/he...e-maintenance/

I would use a wood construction shim as the initial scraper to remove the
bulk of the growth. No way that can damage the stone.

Also I got a slew of hits on Google using the search term
cleaning grave marker

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

I wouldn't say it's off topic, it is your final home.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 9:41*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Jim wrote:
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

I wouldn't say it's off topic, it is your final home.

TDD

"it is your final home"

He's going to be sharing this resting place with the current occupant?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jim wrote:
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

I wouldn't say it's off topic, it is your final home.

TDD

"it is your final home"

He's going to be sharing this resting place with the current occupant?

A friend of mine is about the only male family member left in
his clan. He spends a lot of time caring for his relatives
grave sites and the family plot that he and his mother will
someday share. His father and brother are already interred there.
I'm amazed at the work he puts into it.

Heck, Soylent Green, here I come!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:35:33 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

I use a nylon brush and water. The soap is optional but it might help
remove some of that moss/lichens. Avoid using acids of any kind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The first step is to find out what kind of stone it is. Marble is common.

The next step is to find some place that sells headstones or counters
made of that stone, and buy some cleaner from them.

Almost all stone scratches, so you need brushes (tooth brushes or
bristle brushes) that won't scratch it. Household cleansers can contain
abrasives, so avoid them, and even some detergents are not recommended,
You can search for marble headstone cleaners, or marble counter
cleaners, and find a lot of advice. I'm not going to give a link
because I've never dealt with any of those sites, so I can't know about
their credibility.

Jim wrote:
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Not@home" wrote:
The first step is to find out what kind of stone it is. Marble is common.

Did you even look at the photo? It's *obviously* not marble. Can't say for
sure what it is, but granite would be a good bet -- and if it's granite, not
much short of battery acid or a sledgehammer is going to do it much harm.

Jim wrote:
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Jim wrote:
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home
repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion
on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/

If I am reading the grave marker correctly I believe that the deceased was a
member of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry - PPCLI. In that
case I would suggest that you have a quick look at the following sites. One
offers some information on veterans benefits and the other some info on
grave markers and the Last Post Fund. It seems that the grave marker may be
Barre Grey Granite.

http://www.lastpostfund.ca/EN/funeral.php#markers
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/content/Ser...s_benefits.pdf

Depending on who paid for the grave marker it may not even be yours.