Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Perhaps OT? Cleaning a headstone

In article , "Not@home" wrote:
The first step is to find out what kind of stone it is. Marble is common.

Did you even look at the photo? It's *obviously* not marble. Can't say for
sure what it is, but granite would be a good bet -- and if it's granite, not
much short of battery acid or a sledgehammer is going to do it much harm.

The next step is to find some place that sells headstones or counters
made of that stone, and buy some cleaner from them.

Almost all stone scratches, so you need brushes (tooth brushes or
bristle brushes) that won't scratch it. Household cleansers can contain
abrasives, so avoid them, and even some detergents are not recommended,
You can search for marble headstone cleaners, or marble counter
cleaners, and find a lot of advice. I'm not going to give a link
because I've never dealt with any of those sites, so I can't know about
their credibility.

Jim wrote:
Hi and yes this could be construed as being ot as it is not a home repair
thing.... Was just wanting to ask this group what YOU would use to clean
this headstone as it has become overgrown. Perhaps a website suggestion on
this?.... Below is the headstone photo link....thank you... Jim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017188@N06/4490860997/