Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Powder room exhaust fan

Can i use a Ductless fan ?
Can i tie the fan into the light switch or does it need a seperate switch ?
Will it pass code in Pennsylvania ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2010 9:04 AM, desgnr wrote:

Can i use a Ductless fan ?
Can i tie the fan into the light switch or does it need a seperate switch ?
Will it pass code in Pennsylvania ?

I have to think a ductless fan would be next to useless in a powder room
and work just as well as those ductless pretend range hoods.

--

Peanut butter and banana on rye
glass of water
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 4/2/2010 9:04 AM, desgnr wrote:

Can i use a Ductless fan ?
Can i tie the fan into the light switch or does it need a seperate
switch ?
Will it pass code in Pennsylvania ?

I have to think a ductless fan would be next to useless in a powder room
and work just as well as those ductless pretend range hoods.

I call them "tinkle maskers". Some folks are embarrassed by the
sound of natural body functions.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:

Can i use a Ductless fan ?
Can i tie the fan into the light switch or does it need a seperate switch ?
Will it pass code in Pennsylvania ?

Hi,
If you really want to vent the air from bathroom.
That is waste of money. Do it properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:

Can i use a Ductless fan ?
Can i tie the fan into the light switch or does it need a seperate
switch ?
Will it pass code in Pennsylvania ?

Hi,
If you really want to vent the air from bathroom.
That is waste of money. Do it properly.

Hmmm,
IMHO, you have a bad attitude.
Would you be happy if you bought a house with shoddy stuffs in it?
Any how I never bought or lived in a pre-owned house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2010 8:22 AM desgnr spake thus:

I only need it to pass code to sell the house

That would be a deceptive move on your part, in my view.

But then, who cares about the buyer once you've unloaded the place?

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote

Can i use a Ductless fan ?

Anyone can. They are designed to assist in eliminating odors only though.

Can i tie the fan into the light switch or does it need a seperate switch
?

That one will lave to go to the code specs of your area. Legal here though
unusual.

Will it pass code in Pennsylvania ?

Probably but not if the code just says you have to have an exaust vent in a
bathroom. Here (Virginia) you can have a window or an exaust vent. Both
allowed if desired. It would not be legal here to use a ductless type in
one with no window when code requires a window or vent. You could however
here add a ductless one to a bathroom with a window as an added 'nice'
thing.

Is your bathroom not code spec because of no vent and you are looking for a
solution without adding a duct? Pretty sure this will NOT get you around
that. Grandfathering of an older house would be your coverage. Keep in
mind that in most states, grandfathering is normal for everything if it was
code-spec when built. A buyer then can always 'request' you upgrade but
can't require it. Then again, they can buy another house so figure your
odds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 12:22*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I only need it to pass code to sell the house

Then call up the local building dept and ask. That's the only answer
that matters. Any opinions you get here aren't going to get you very
far, are they? You'd still have to call up, unless you want to wing
it based on some posts here and then risk having it fail and have to
redo it.

The other obvious question is did this result from a buyer's
inspection? If so, you may want to consider the possible trouble down
the road from a dissatisfied buyer. Even if it is code compliant,
IMO it is a half-assed solution and they could still sue you, though
they likely would lose. But they could also then get ****ed off and
combine in 6 other things that they might have ignored.

Ventless must not be very common, because I have never seen one.